We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Yosemite Trip report;

My husband, son and I visited Yosemite for 2 nights in late June 2013. I had received a fair bit of help from folk here in the Forum, especially from PacificNWFamily, so I thought I’d report on how our short trip went. In a word it was: GREAT!

Day 1: Drove in through Tioga Pass (from Lone Pine): We drove in from Lone Pine and entered Yosemite through Tioga Pass. I had stumbled across Kris Corey’s audio guide website whilst researching for this trip. We are a fan of audio guides and were pleased to see so many dedicated to Yosemite. Kris was wonderful to deal with and helped me work out which recordings would be of most use to us given our travel plans and time budget. Our drive in through the Tioga Pass and down into Yosemite Village was made so much more meaningful thanks to the wonderful and informed commentary from Kris. It was like being on a tour with a travel guide right there with us telling us what to note and look out for and giving us a potted history of the area. I would highly recommend anyone who is thinking of driving in Yosemite to check out his website and consider purchasing the relevant audio guide(s) for your travel section. We purchased the ‘Lee Vining to Yosemite Valley’ and the ‘Glacier Point Road’ guides.

Our accommodation was at ‘Yosemite Lodge at the Falls’ and this proved to be a great choice. The room was basic but very clean and well situated for access to the shuttle, a cafe and restaurant. We didn’t arrive until quite late in the afternoon and felt a bit tired after the long drive. Also, we had already completed a fairly thorough ‘tour’ through our use of the audio guide so we didn’t do too much after we arrived. For dinner we dined at the ‘Mountain Room’ restaurant and had a great meal with good wine and for excellent dollar value. Our table was near the window and we looked out to Yosemite Falls and over playful squirrels. We enjoyed this meal so much that we cancelled our booking for the Ahwahnee Hotel Dining Room the following night and dined at the Mountain Room again!

Day 2: We walked the ‘Mist Trail’ on the morning of our one full day and this was a great hike to take as the trail was in good shade (from vegetation) for much of the walk and this gave us some relief during the heat of the day. For lunch we caught the shuttle back down to the cafe at the Lodge. It was a rather hot day so we used the opportunity of the cool of the car air conditioning to drive up to Glacier Point. From Glacier Point we headed back towards Tuolumne Grove to view the massive Sequoia trees in the area.

We were back down in the Valley by about 6pm and headed to the Mountain Room again for another wonderful meal and evening! An early night was in order as we were all tired after our very full day and we had to check out in the morning and head to Napa.

Our trip was only short but we all agreed that Yosemite was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip through California and to Waikiki.

Thank you again to those who helped me formulate this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
442 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,000 Reviews
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,001 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
838 Reviews
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
California
California
United States
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,846 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Good to hear that Mountain Room is great! We will be there in about 2 weeks and considering dropping the Ahwahnee for dinner for Mtn Room to save some money but also for some good food!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,728 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Thanks for reporting back.

It sounds like your visit was exactly right for you! I hope your family appreciates all the planning you did.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Great report with good info & tips. I'm also a big fan of the Mountain Room.

Level Contributor
37,591 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Thank you for the report back! The Mountain Room sounds really nice, what did you have there? :)

Groveland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

Thanks for the great review of my Yosemite Audio Adventure Tour Guides!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

@ syrahgirl: My husband had the steak on both nights....my son had the burger and I had trout one night and I think the chicken the next night. We had 3 weeks away and it all seems a bit of blur now. The steaks,,,all across California, Nevada and Hawaii were better than what we get out here in AUD land...according to my husband! I always tend to go for fish/chicken options myself. I think our wines are as good as yours though!

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Trip report: short at only 2 days but great!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 07:44