We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Is there any way to see el capitan, tunnel view, half dome, and yosemite falls just using the free shuttle in Yosemite? or do I need to go on the valley floor tour to see these sights without a car? I just want to stop for a bit to take pictures and then move on. Also anyone know at what time does the valley floor tour starts? Thank you very much.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Cars are mostly prohibited on the roads through the valley (with exceptions for people with disabled cards, I believe). Visitors with accommodation in the valley can park at their accommodation, everyone else parks at the visitor day use parking and then uses the shuttle bus. So having a car doesn't really help you see the sights in the valley.

There is the valley shuttle bus and the El Capitan shuttle bus. Neither goes to Tunnel View, there are buses that go to Glacier Point and will go via Tunnel View, but I don't know if they stop there.

When are you planning to visit and how are you planning to get to Yosemite? Yosemite Falls is seasonal and generally dry by August-September (depending on snowpack), and the El Capitan shuttle only runs between mid-June to early October. Having a car really is easiest if you can organise it.

On this page nps.gov/yose/…CP_JUMP_566977 scroll down to "Getting Around Yosemite" and it has information on the shuttles and other public transportation.

This www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tours.htm is information on various tours and includes a link to the valley floor tour.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

We will be visiting Yosemite end of August using YARTS from Merced Amtrak. We both can't drive so using public transport is the only way. I tried seeing the map of the shuttle but cannot find the exact stop points of the shuttle to see the sights.

For el capitan shuttle, should I stop at E3 (el capitan picnic area) to see el capitan?

to see the fall (probably will be dry by the time we are in Yosemite) should I stop at stop number 6 valley shuttle?

so without joining the tour, I will not be able to see half dome and tunnel view? Thanks AussieGirl86.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,402 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Yosemite Fall is done for the season. You can see El Cap and Half Dome from a variety of places in the valley- there will be many places for good pictures.

Tunnel View is too far from the valley for the shuttle.

I think the Valley Floor tour starts at 10 am. Reservations suggested. Last tour of the day will have nice lighting for photos but it will still be hot and the roads & areas more crowded.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,642 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

It will be obvious when you get there where you need to get off. Ask the shuttle driver or other people on the shuttle as well. I think the only way to see Glacier Point without a car would be to take the GP shuttle/tour. Reservations recommended too www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx

Obviously if you are in good shape you can hike up from the valley and back.

Another suggestion would be to make friends with cars once you get there to see if you can hitch a ride if others are going.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

YARTS will take you to several stops in the valley. They list them on their website.

The free shuttle in the valley is very easy to use and they give a running commentary as to what stop gets you where, including the El Capitan route.

Unlike what has been suggested, cars are free to go on several roads within the park and there are numerous parking spots and lots throughout. As you approach the valley floor there are numerous turnout that allow parking to allow for seeing the many views in the park. Of course, this does not apply to you.

Yes, the Yosemite Falls have been dry for a while now and Mirror Lake is quite low but there is still water flowing and so you will still see some falls.

Half Dome is visible from many points in the park and if you sit up front on the bus you will see it driving in. It can be seen from the valley floor and Mirror Lake offers a nice reflected view.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Thanks for all the information. We have decided to do the glacier tour in the morning and use the el capitan and valley shuttle to see the other sights before returning to Merced with YARTS. Hopefully the weather will be nice when we go there. Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Has anyone done the Yosemite Grand Tour? We decided to book the tour but after reading some of the posts here, I'm a bit concern with the length of the tour. The official website said that it is 8 hours long, so it should end around 4:45 PM, but I read in tripadvisor that some bus arrived back at 6 PM ++. How common does the tour arrive late? We were thinking of storing our luggage at our hotel in Mariposa, so I need at least 2 YARTS bus from Yosemite, one to pick up our luggage from Mariposa, and another one from Mariposa to Merced. However, the two last YARTS bus leaves Yosemite lodge at 6 PM and 8.35 PM. Is it possible to bring our luggage with us inside the tour bus? or store it at the lodge without staying over there? so that I don't need to go back to Mariposa? Thank you!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Sorry that I cannot answer your direct question but can you leave most of your luggage in Merced and just pack a small overnight bag for Mariposa? But maybe I am not understanding your question correctly. Originally I thought you were spending two nights in Merced and taking YARTS up and back on the same day. But now it seems you will be arriving in Merced and taking YARTS to Mariposa for a night and the next day taking YARTS to Yosemite, doing the tour and returning to Merced via YARTS with a stop in Mariposa? Perhaps you can specify where you plan to stay each night so that we can better answer your question.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Yes, sorry. We changed our itinerary so that we can get to the lodge by 8.45 am and therefore decided to stay in mariposa for the first night and merced the second night. Thanks.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting sights in Yosemite without car

Maybe you would like to spend both nights in Mariposa? Sorry I could not be of more help.

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park