We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Hi,

I am planning on driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco starting on November 15th 2013. I have recently read reviews saying that the weather is very variable around this time and I am nervous that I will not be able to drive through Yosemite. Can anyone give me any advice? What is the best route to take around this time? Where is the best place to stay?

I am thinking of driving from Death Valley before going to Yosemite where I would love to stay around 4 days. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Luke

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

If Tioga Road and Tioga Pass are still open, drive through Yosemite (Highway 120), then south on 395 to Lone Pine, then east to Death Valley, then to Las Vegas. Stay overnight 1 night somewhere, such as June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Independence or Lone Pine.

If Tioga Road is closed, you will need to use an alternate route that will be longer. Here is an article that will help you plan your options: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581/Yosemi…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Oops, I gave you directions for the opposite way. It would be the reverse order. The article still applies to your trip.

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Thanks, really useful

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Here are closing dates of various Sierra passes, including Tioga, in past years: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm Another factor is whether a storm hits Highway 395, which is over 8,000' north of Bishop. Rental cars typically preclude the use of chains.

Best bet, IMHO, is to plan for the trip as you have, but have back-up plans in mind (e.g., taking Highway 58 or Highway 178 to Hwy. 99 and then north to Yosemite).

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Keep in mind that the closing dates are when the Tioga Pass highway closed FOR GOOD that year, ie, when they gave up plowing the road after all of the little snow storms came through the area.

See, generally speaking, the weather leading up to the final closure comes and goes dropping snow on the highway. They try to clear the highway after each of the little snow storms until they just say quits.

As your dates get closer, check the weather and road conditions inside Yosemite often. The contact information is on the Yosemite National Park web site

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

I live the next pass over from Tioga. Middle of Nov. both Tioga and Sonora passes are closed more often than not. Your best options then are either to go up to Tahoe and over (it may close but only for a few hours as they keep it plowed. The other option is to go south. Tahoe being the more scenic. Just check the weather day by day.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

Going north is far more scenic. What we did was spending the night in Lone Pine after driving through Death Valley and checked about road and weather conditions. You can plan accordingly.

8. Re: Travelling Las Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite Nov 15th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 06:21