We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

Hi,

My husband and I are ariving to the Yosemite Park from SF on Sunday 8th September through the South Entrance to start with Mariposa Grove & Giant Sequoias. Our rough plan for Yosemite Park is: Giant Sequoias, Glacier Point, Toulumne Meadows and then we are heading to Bodie State Historic Park and further to Death Valley on wednesday 11th.

We would like to stay in the Park in economy places, but have problems to figure out which ones would be on our way.

We would also appreciate if you could recommend how to plan our staying in Yosemite in more details, though we will be able to find the answers on the forum, I guess, once we decide where we are spending our three nights in the Park.

Could you advise, please?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

Sure.

Start with the Top Questions, lodging info. An "economy" lodging might be a studio condo in Yosemite West where you can make your own meals. Or it might be a tent cabin in Yosemite Valley.

Check the map that is included in the lodging article.

(You need to be on the full TripAdvisor website to see the useful Top Questions & Trip Ideas. They aren't visible on the simple app.)

Also read the Top Question "What is a good route to travel to Yosemite from Las Vegas?" for details about your eastern Sierra drive. You might want your final night to be in Tuolumne Meadows or in / near Lee Vining so you can fully enjoy the high country.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

I'm by FAR not the expert around here, as my first trip is actually during a similar time period. HOWEVER, I made my "in park" reservations a year in advance. At this point you are probably going to be making lodging choices with regard to what is available, rather than what is convenient or preferred.

I'm not sure any of the "in park" accommodations are considered "economy" as it's all priced high as compared to the same type lodging elsewhere. For example, we are staying 2 nights at the Toulomne Meadows tent cabins. These are without electricity and are $137.40/night (incl taxes). Our first 2 nights are going to be at the Lodge in the valley, with rates of $252.97 (incl taxes).

The posters here are GREAT help, but I think more info is needed as to what your budget is and what lodging you've been considering that is available.

Since I've been reading these boards for over a year, I do think you've got one of the recommendations covered, and that is to spend time in both the Valley and the high country!

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

What is your budget in USD?

Economy is a vague term. You pay for the priviledge of staying inside the park, and it is worth it.

Tuolumne Meadows will be getting cold at night in September. You will need to use the woodstove present in the tented cabin accomodation. It's at more than 8,700 ft elevation.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

Thank you. Will check out as per your suggestion.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

If you want to stay inside the park it will totally depend on what is available. According to the official website for reservations (Yosemite park.com), both Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp have availability for those three nights. Both would qualify as " economy" accommodations but they are very different. If one of those meets your needs, you should book ASAP. Tuolumne Lodge did not show up on the website as available, but if you are interested in a night there you could call and ask. I did not see their closing date but did not look very hard.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

Thank you so much for you help.

Yes, with our budget we have to stick to the cheapest places while in YNP.

I had problems to locate them in the park, but finally managed and we booked two nights in Curry Village and still think of the third night (I know we should hurry up). Toulumne Lodge was our first choice, with no availability, which has now changed. Meanwhile I found Murphy's Motel, which would work well on our way to Bodie in the morning.

So we should be fine by now.

Pareo B - so kind of you to mention the weather conditions in TM. I did not realize it was so high and therefore so cold at night. Much appreciated.

7. Re: 8th-10th September - which economy accomodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18