We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Topic
Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Yosemite NPS has just posted:

Yosemite National Park

Highway 120 is temporarily closed west of Yosemite near Groveland due to a wildfire in Stanislaus National Forest. Updated fire information will be posted on Inciweb at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

. Yosemite is fully open, but visitors wishing to come in the next few days may want to consider alternate routes: www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/directions.htm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Thanks for the update. From www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php… looks like it is still closed.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Yeah I suspect this one might be a few days since it's at zero percent containment as of this morning. (see iniweb in original post) a pain for folks staying in Groveland or buck meadows area... Not a huge deal for anyone coming in from the Bay area since rerouting through 140 really isn't a huge detour.

Hoping for safety for the wildland firefighters.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

marmot - how far back are they putting up alert signs to reroute? Not all travelers, especially international visitors, check traffic alerts. I am assuming they will have electronic signs along 120 near the 99 turn off (?Manteca?)so folks will reroute down to 140?

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

That's an excellent question that I don't know the answer to. There are lit signs down a ways out that are used to say Tioga road is closed during the winter. I'm hoping caltrans (park doesn't control those) will make use of them?

More information here

mariposagazette.com/news/2013-08-15/Front_Pa…

A note, Saturday night there was ash falling in the Hodgdon meadow area of the park, and crane flat was realllly smoky. I don't know if this has changed or not . it's likely that smoke is going to impact a lot of Tioga road as well, so people should be prepared for this.

One other note, other areas west of and inside the park were slammed with impressive lightning storms yesterday (and we get thunderstorms but these were worth talking about) . More thunderstorms are expected today. Crossing fingers that nothing new fire wise pops up. But a good reminder that this is California fire season and unfortunately, smoke impacts in the park this time of year are not unusual.

Safe travels all.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

The signs are up that Hwy 120 is closed including many temporary ones, so travelers should get the message. However, for those that have not read the signs and are coming in on Hwy 120/108, they can take Hwy 49 which parallels hwy 120 to Mariposa and then Hwy 140.

For those that have totally ignored all the signs and finally find themselves in the Buck Meadows area, they can take J20 through Greeley Hill to Coulterville which is on Hwy 49 and then on to Hwy 140.

The air quality seems to be poor everywhere, including the San Joaquin valley.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Stay safe everyone!!! We were so lucky last week to have good air and weather and snuck in between fires.

Saw on the news that Cal Fire has been on the ready for the dry Bay Area hills due to these thunderstorms and lightning strikes. Even in our usually dry Silicon Valley, we had impressive lightning and thunderclaps last night followed by heavy rain that lasted less than 5 mins. I actually went out to check if it was hail because it sounded so loud.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

This looks like a real bad fire. It has been named the Rim fire. For the latest information you can use this link: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/

This fire is not going away real soon.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 22:35
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

I didn't see this when I did my post. Given the winds I'd expect smoke in areas of the park. As you go north from 120 the terrain gets increasingly steep and hard to access. Probably not safe even for tankers. If this gets up into the Stanislaus the Mexican cartels will take a big hit. I'm staying inside with air conditioning on and hooked up to my oxygen.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

Just to complicate issues.. there are thunderstorms with erratic winds and lightening heading into the area. The National Weather Service has issued small stream flood advisories. 1-2 inches possible. Let's hope they hit the fire although right now it seems to be heading to the burned out area. This could mean that the falls in Yosemite will be flowing.

10. Re: Heads up Hwy 120 closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21