We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mountain View
10 posts
Save Topic
Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Hello,

- New to California.

- Travelling with family.

- During early October, starting from SF bay area we plan to visit:

1) Yosemite National Park

2) Tioga Pass & Death Valley

3) Grand Canyon

4) Las Vegas

5) Los Angeles

then back to SF bay area in 7-8 days.

- We are quite flexible. If you feel like, we can add some more OR should remove from the list, please let us know. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

- Any help regarding the roads, weather conditions and tips regarding accommodation in the parks (Yosemite & Canyon) would be a great help.

Thanks

Edited: 21 August 2013, 09:16
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Welcome to the forum.

I'd add some more time or skip Grand Canyon NP. It will be tight to visit all those places in 7-8 days.

1. SF-Yosemite

2. Yosemite

3. Yosemite via Tioga Pass to Las Vegas to Lone Pine

4. Lone Pine via Death Valley NP to Las Vegas

5. Las Vegas (?)

6. Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

7. Grand Canyon and on the way to Los Angeles with an overnight stay like in Kingman

8. Kingman-Los Angeles

9. LA

10, La-Cambria

11. Cambria-Bay area.

You can drive LA to SF in one day but not along the coast. Depending on what you want to do you also easily can add a day for GC and/or a day for Death Valley.

Tet

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,760 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Hi, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

If you go "up" one level to the California state forum, you'll find the Top Questions about California on the right side of that page. There are some ideas for overall itinerary planning.

Since you live in Mountain View, you might want to split this into two trips. Take a long weekend to enjoy Yosemite. And then take close to a week to visit Death Valley, Las Vegas, GCNP, and L.A. Or just visit the first three (with long drives to/from Mountain View) and visit L.A. over a long weekend.

For ideas about visiting Yosemite including lodging and what to do, start with the Top Questions & Trip Ideas here on this forum Those are visible on the full TripAdvisor website but not on the app.

Mountain View
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

@PacificNWFamily:

1) Thanks for pointing out, I should have posted on California state forum.

2) I can't split, my family is visiting and have to complete in single trip. But I can add/remove places.

3) I will look into Top Questions & Trip Ideas

Thanks

Edited: 21 August 2013, 21:02
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Las Vegas and Grand Canyon aren't in California.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Have you mapped all this out? In 7-8 days, you can't do justice to all these places. I would concentrate on Yosemite & environs and Death Valley. If you have to squeeze LV in, I guess you could, but you'd have a long, miserable drive back to SF at the end of it. I love the Grand Canyon, but it's about a 5 hour drive from LV, in the opposite direction.

Whereas you could have a nice couple days in Yosemite, a day or so in Death Valley (and even that's a long way), maybe a couple days in Tahoe or Napa or Monterey. Those are all a lot closer to your starting and ending point - less time racing around in the car, more time enjoying places.

Mountain View
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

@Tet14 & @Jenazz: Thanks for the inputs.

- I got the point I can't cover all. I should remove Canyon from the list.

- Updated Itinerary:

Day 1: Mountain View to Yosemite around 200 miles.

Day 2: Another day at Yosemite

Day 3: Yosemite via Tioga Pass to Lone Pine (night stay at Lone Pine OR Death Valley ??)

Day 4: Lone Pine via Death Valley to Vegas

Day 5: Vegas

Day 6: Vegas to LA (Universal Studios)

Day 7: LA (Santa Monica & Malibu)

Day 8: LA to Mountain View (Any place which I can stop for some hours in between ??)

Will appreciate your suggestions

Thanks

Edited: 22 August 2013, 07:21
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Death Valley will be warmer but Lone Pine to the major motels in DV (Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek Ranch) is another 1.5- 2 hours of driving but staying in DV gives you more time there on the way to Las Vegas next day. It's still a long drive between Yosemite and DV.

Las Vegas to LA, depending on traffic, can take 5 hours so adding Universal that day gives you not much time for Universal.

Driving in one day between LA and SF via I5 .Not interesting. You are showing your family around, so I'd say, dont miss the coastal drive between Cambria and Monterey (Big Sur Coast) but it's no longer a one day trip then.

Tet

Mountain View
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

@Tet.: hmm Ok then, how about removing Vegas and adding 1 night stay at Big Sur Coast ?

I prefer enjoying places rather than trying to cover more.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

I'd pick Big Sur coast over Las Vegas but you can't compare. Maybe ask your family what they like best.

Sydney, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for planning trip. Yosemite, Canyon, Vegas, LA

Hi! Gen here from TourRadar!

I would recommend taking the following route if you want to see a few sites and also take in the Big Sur!

1. Las Vegas- even with your family, I think Vegas is such a unique and interesting place, you don't need to go wild to enjoy it, but one evening is sufficient time to spend there! You could therefore spend the day at the Grand Canyon which I don't think a trip to the West Coast is worthwhile without seeing!

2.Death Valley- take the chance to visit some of the lowest and hottest spots in America and then take the Tioga pass from Bishop through the Sierra Nevada mountain range to Yosemite.

3. Yosemite- I would spend two days here if possible and take the opportunity to do some hiking and even rent bikes! A piece of advice when you are hiking- bring plenty of water and salty snacks to keep you hydrated- as it can get really hot and there is nowhere to buy any water until you get to the top!

4. SF- I would spend two days in San Francisco if possible (but if you only have one day make sure you take the time to go to Alcatraz and try some seafood chowder in a sourdough bread bowl!)

5.Drive down the BigSur to LA and maybe stop en route at Pismo Beach

6.LA- take the opportunity to see Hollywood or universal studios if you have the time, but apart from that you do not need to spend too much time in LA!