We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Hi Advisors, this whole fire has made me really sad, I hop eeveryone is safe. me and my wife are flying from Pittsburgh, PA to visit California for first time and my most important part of vacation is Yosemite. Right now we have everything booked from flights to all hotels all over CA, For Yosemite, we will be starting from Monterey to Yosemite on Sept 10th 2013, morning 5 AM. We have booked housekeeping camp for Sept 10-13. My original plan was to drive from Monterey to Mariposa Grove via most scenic drives, then visit Giant trees, then drive to Valley and take beautiful hikes, then day 2, I would leave for Tioga Pass route, tuolumne Meadows, Mono Lake, Tenaya Lake, Mirror Lakes and all other places all along Tioga Pass, then Day 3 I would visit Hetch hetchy and then spend more time in valley hikes for waterfalls, Then I will drive to San Francisco for my return flight.

Now after fire, am praying everybody is safe all around. I really don't know what routes are open and what should be my vacation plan. I get very sad when I am reading more about these fire.

Please help me plan which route should I take on Day 1 from Monterey to the Mariposa Giant Sequonas, then Glacier point and valley,

How shouId I travel from house keeping camp along the Tioga pass to visit all the great places along Tioga pass and what all I can visit.

Then most important, what all places I can still visit in the Yosemite valley for 3 days? What hikes are possible?

Then finally what should be my route from housekeeping camp to San Francisco?

Thanks a Lot!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Hard to give answers to what will be happening 13 nights from now.

However, I can guarantee that you won't be able to get into Hetch Hetchy.

Keep your reservation, at least until the 7 day cancellation-refund limit. You'll have a better idea of what's going on then.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Your arrival day can be the 4 hr drive from Monterey to the South Entrance. Maybe stop in Oakhurst for lunch on the way or bring your picnic. You'll need to park in Wawona. I recommend trying to find a place to park near the Wawona Store. Enjoy your picnic or get on the shuttle. Round trip from Wawona to the Grove with a tram tour or hiking .... maybe 3 or 4 hours. By this time I think it's too late to really enjoy Glacier Point, so go directly to Yosemite Valley with a stop at Tunnel View.

The next day, definitely spend time along the Glacier Point Road. The Taft Point hike is less traveled and through 'the woods.' The Sentinel Dome hike is in the open and ends on top of a dome. Linking them with the Pohono Trail is a great way to enjoy both. Stop at Washburn Point and Glacier Point as well. This can take several hours if you have time to savor the area.

Yosemite Valley ideas ... Stroll on the Valley Loop trail ... any sections. Rent bikes. Go to ranger programs. Hike to the top of Vernal Fall. Enjoy the Visitor Center. Stroll in a meadow. Swim/wade in the river.

>>How shouId I travel from house keeping camp along the Tioga pass to visit all the great places along Tioga Road and what all I can visit.<<

IF (and it's a big IF) Tioga Road is still closed near Crane Flat, then you can't go to Tuolumne Meadows. The detour would be too much. Plan a return visit.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Thank you! Can I still go to any of the places along Tioga Pass? I really want to travel that route.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

We won't know about the Tioga Pass Road for a while.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

No.

Tioga Road begins at Crane Flat. As of noon today, that will be closed. There is no way to access that end of the road from Yosemite Valley.

The other end of the road is "near" Nevada on the eastern side. That's Tioga Pass Entrance. You can access it from Hwy 395 on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Usual way to Tuolumne Meadows (tourist area on Tioga Road) when the road is open: http://goo.gl/maps/Mb5Fc

Unusual way with current road closures (Housekeeping Camp to Mariposa to Sonora to Hwy 108 to Hwy 395 to Tioga Pass Entrance, assuming that Hwy 49 is okay for travel) http://goo.gl/maps/GG5nN

Your trip is still almost two weeks away. I don't know what the conditions will be on September 10th.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Here is a link to the Caltrans site where you can check road closures, just type in the highway number:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

For roads within Yosemite, check the Yosemite NPS web site:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

You can check back periodically to see the status as your trip gets closer. That said, even if you can't drive Tioga Pass, there is plenty to see and do in Yosemite Valley and the south end of the park to fill up your visit.

I did want to mention waterfalls since you talked about seeing them in Yosemite Valley - check the status of the falls. It is late in the season for the falls, which are mostly fed by snow melt. We had a rather dry winter as it was, so there may not be much in the way of waterfalls for your visit.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Really the only part of your trip that will be affected is visiting Hetch- Hetchy. There is a possibility that you won't be able to access Tioga Road; you couldn't if you were coming right now. But so far the closures there are for fire suppression efforts and look to be temporary.

While we can't know for certain, there's a good chance you could get up to Tioga Rd. by the time you come. Use the road conditions contact already mentioned and you will be good to go.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

Thanks, I'll check the status. Could you please suggest what all places I can visit in the South Yosemite and directions?

9. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:31
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite dream vacation, really sad now, please advise

In addition to the information given to you by the ranger, if you want to plan ahead, you can look it all up on the web site (link in my previous post). There is a ton of information on that site.