We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Dome hike

Amherst...
3 posts
Save Topic
Half Dome hike

Has anybody actually hiked to Half Dome in the past few days, and if so what was the experience like as far as smoke and visibility?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,774 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Dome hike

I have not hiked Half Dome, but I have some ideas for you.

Check with MrHalfDome http://hikehalfdome.com/ or with folks on this hiking website: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/list.php?3

The last report on this forum was from AdventureLive on Sept 1 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k67956… (Reply 13)

Last suggestion ~ keep an eye on the webcam views nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm (smoky right now) and definitely on the NPS Rim Fire page: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Dome hike

I have hiked Half Dome but not this season. However, we flew over on Froday, en route from Seattle to Santa Ana. It was totally clear in yosemite Valley and we could see Half Dome and Clouds Rest and all the other landmarks I know so well. The fire was beneath the plane, out of sight, and the only smoke we saw was well to the east, in Nevada.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Dome hike

I did it last Wednesday - clear as a bell, no smoke interference at all. However the conditions seem to be changing all the time so not sure that's really a great deal of help. As said, keep an eye on the web updates.

Have fun!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Dome hike

As was mentioned... see my website / blog hikehalfdome.com and facebook ..../facebook/mrhalfdome.

Lots of discussion and photos there. Basically - generally, when the winds shift - blowing south - east smoke does get in. It's moderate, but not healthy if you have breathing issues. Worst in the morning as cool air settles it overnight. HD is at 8842 ft so mostly above it. Good reports coming in. I'll be hiking it this week and will post info on the social media mentions.

Plenty of 2-day mini permits. Go for it.

Rick

MrHalfDome.com

Amherst...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Dome hike

thanks. look forward to hearing about your experience.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 01:55
6. Re: Half Dome hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:16