We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

Hello,

I will be travelling to California with my girlfriend from 5-24 May 2104, including LA, Vegas, San Diego and San Francisco. I have only booked my flights from and back to Belfast and am happy to leave the majority of the remaining booking until a lot closer to the time. However we are looking to make the trip from SF to Yosemite to spend a night around the 15/16th and this is where i dont want to wait having read how quickly it books up. The prices for Yosemite Lodge at the falls are £50/60 more than we would normally look to pay per night but as we only have a short time i would prefer to stay in the valley. But also my girlfriend doesnt like the thought of camping at curry village. Basically im just wondering if prices will drop or simply book up so is it worthwhile paying this now and cancelling if we find something better or can we stay outside the valley and still make the most of our time? I do like the thought of being right bang in the middle of the natural environment of the valley, especially near the falls in May, but having never been i dont know how much different it is than outside the valley?

Apologies for the long windedness for such a small question in the end!

Thanks all!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

As in real estate, it's location, location, location. What you "usually" spend is irrelevant. If you have a limited amount of time and can afford to stay in the Valley and like the idea of waking up (and going to bed) there, I'd say go for it. We've stayed at Camp Curry (aka Curry Village), and it's not camping, but it's also not a regular hotel. We survived quite well, but my wife (who camped for decades) has made it clear that if we return, we'd stay at the Lodge at Yosemite Falls (unless I want to spring for the Ahwahnee). May is a usually a beautiful time to be in Yosemite Valley, with the waterfalls at or at least near their peak. I love bein there in the evenings and mornings. And don't like driving back and forth to other locations.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 22:58
LA
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

The prices don't drop. Don't be looking for bargains. They will sell out on weekends.

If you are only there for one night, spend the money. Otherwise you'll have to add another hour each for the drive in and out. And you'll miss the chance to walk around at sunset, in the evening, in the early am, which can all be spectacular.

Time=money in this situation.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

All the lodging options are described in the Top Questions on the right side of the page (full TA website.)

Only one night + May (during peak waterfall flow) + first time visitors = stay in the Valley!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

>>i dont know how much different it is than outside the valley?<<

It's not so much the terrain, it's saving the hour+ to drive back and forth to lodging outside on private land. Yes, it's an hour or more. One way.

Well worth staying in the valley for your short visit.

Don't camp. Be comfortable.

Budget elsewhere if need be. Take a cooler and buy lunch food at grocery stores - that would save $15-$20 each day. Lots of discounts in Las Vegas.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

I called DNC last week about lodging in the Valley for next month and was able to get two different rooms at the Lodge at the Falls for the two nights we will be there. Meaning we will have to change rooms. (These rooms did not show up on their website). They told me to keep calling back because they frequently have cancelations. But, I will take what I can get just to be in the middle of things. Good luck!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

You normally would not be staying in Yosemite so how much you normally spend does not matter. There is no question stay in the park and seriously consider adding at least one or two more nights. I promise you you will regret having to leave after only one night. You need time to see more of the park like Glacier point and hiking to the waterfalls and none of your other stops will compare.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

Definitely pay the extra to stay at the Lodge and book it right away. I'm surprised there are rooms left for May 2014. It is more than worth the extra money - any Californian will tell you. If you have flexibility in your schedule, check a calendar of moon phases and try to go when the moon it fullest. Be sure to take the open tram tour of the valley at night with your Gal.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

Thanks everyone! Still getting some availability on Trivago so going to book now! Anyone know much about the drive across to Monterey or Carmel as we are thinking of travelling down the coast from SF for a night but this would save us a couple of hours driving one way from Yosemite then onto SF rather than doubling back on ourselves!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

Hi Adam G

For overall itinerary or route planning, please make a thread on the California state forum page. This forum is just about Yosemite. The folks who are most familiar with driving routes between SF and Monterey won't think to read your Yosemite thread to offer ideas about coastal driving.

If you book your Yosemite lodging with a 3rd party vendor, be very careful with the cancellation policy. DNC (www.YosemitePark.com ) does not charge a cancellation fee but some resellers charge a high fee.

++++++++

Adding ... I see that you just posted a thread on the CA forum. I'll offer my route ideas to that thread!

Edited: 14 September 2013, 14:05
Riverside...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite May 2014, worth the extra £££ to stay in valley?

don't stay in Curry Village. It's a real dump and expensive. Especially if you are taking your girlfriend. prices in the valley are outrageous. It's a easy drive to stay 10 miles outside the park. But there are only a few of them. Book early, as you are. I recommend Cedar Lodge in El Portal. I have stayed there. Do yourself a favor and hike to the top of Yosemite Falls too (3 Hrs). Cheers