We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

Hi. I have reservations for Yosemite Lodge for one night (Oct 17th.) I'm already working on a Plan B, should this situation remain until my visit date.

As part of my plan B, I contacted the Reservations office at the Hotel, and asked specifically what happened to reservations if the park was closed, and what was the current situation. This is the anser I got:

"Dear Yosemite Guest,

The government has entered a shutdown as of midnight on September 30, 2013. As a result, the National Park Service (NPS) is required by law to start closing operations in Yosemite National Park.

At this time, we have been advised by the NPS that guests with lodging reservations for October 1, 2013 and in-house guests will be able to continue with their vacation plans to Yosemite, but they will be required to leave Thursday, October 3, 2013 by 3pm.

During the shutdown, the National Park Service will close the Visitor Center. Additionally, Ranger programs and the majority of the daily activities will not be available including hiking trails, guided tours, horseback riding and bike rentals.

If you have an upcoming reservation and are not able to change your reservation to alternative dates, your reservation will be automatically canceled and you will receive a full refund. If you would like to change your reservation to an alternative date or discuss other plans to stay in Yosemite, please call us at 877-404-3741 or modify your reservation online.

We do not know how long this shut down will last and appreciate your patience as we all work through this situation. Please keep checking back for the latest information. The situation is fluid and can change quickly.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

For additional information, please visit http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/index.cfm"

Sorry if this is information already known, thought it could be helpful for travelers.

Mx

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,963 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

Thanks for sharing the answer you've received from DNC. I hope the situation changes very quickly so folks can get on with their plans.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

To: MX 1977 - We just visited Yosemite last month. Our very best advice to you is - do NOT stay at the Lodge! You should stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel! Yes - it is more expensive - but the quality of the hotel experience will color your memories of your entire visit to Yosemite. Especially the historic restaurant, indoor seating and grounds. If you are traveling from Argentina, my guess is that you can budget for the additional cost to stay one night at the Ahwahnee Hotel. The park closure should free up some reservations at the Ahwahnee Hotel on 17th Oct.

Are you renting a car and driving into Yosemite?

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

Hi Luggagewithwheels. Yes, we are driving. I did looked at the possibility of that hotel but it is way far from what we can pay. I don't know what the global interpretation about Argentina's situation is, but I can tell you that it is far from easy with a 25% anual inflation rate and heavy Government restrictions to buy US Dollars.

Thank you for the tip!

Mx

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

Mx, I would cancel your reservations in the park and book in El Portal.........there are a lot of nice motels in that area, right at the gate into the park.......

Even if the shut down is still going on by the time of your trip, you will probably still be able to drive up into the park........I find it highly unlikely that they would close the road into the park, as there are people who live there, high school buses which daily take that route and other government employees who live outside the park that need to take that route to get to the hospital located inside the park.......

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

They are not closing the road into the park (although we are still awaiting a local's viewpoint on whether the road is open past Bridalveil except to residents). Through roads marked as State Highways are open in all the national parks. Overlooks and trailheads are closed.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

To Luggage with wheels - FYI ANYONE can avail themselves of the amenities of the Ahwanhee, not just guests. I camp in a tent yet eat at the Ahwanhee, hang out at the patio of the bar, sit and read by the fire in the lounge at night. I've been doing this for 30 years and it is part of the Yosemite experience.

7. Re: Park Closing Details (from Hotel Reservation Point of View)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:20