We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Montreal
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

We are from the east coast. We do not get to California often. We fly into Reno on Saturday Oct 19. We have reservations at the Ahwahnee with National Park Reservations for Sunday October 20 and Monday October 21(cancellation fee of $100). We have reservations for Napa Valley for Tuesday October 22 and October 23 and arrive late in San Francisco on October 24 for 3 days. If it was your money would you cancel the Ahwahnee now and spend Oct 20,21 and 22 around Lake Tahoe? We had wanted to drive to Mono Lake before Yosemite but the southern part with the tufas may not be staffed and we do not want to drive all that way for nothing. We do not want to risk trying to drive through Yosemite and being turned away. Also no stopping is not our idea of fun. A big thank you for any replies.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

No one can predict how long it goes on...though I'm sure the Vegas bookies have a line. No matter what, Hwy 120 will be open to drive through. I'd hold on for at least a couple weeks. Still leaves time to book Tahoe.

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

I wouldn't cancel the Ahwahnee just yet.

I was just there and there is nothing in Tahoe like it.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Another vote for waiting a bit more if at all possible. Might check on Tahoe reservations now and double check their cancellation policies? Would give you more flexibility.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Tahoe is pretty dead on weekdays in late October. No need to reserve anything now. Wait and see what happens. Congress won't let this shutdown last too long.

However, there's no guarantee 120 will be open. October storms can close it for a few days. Usually it reopens but there is no guarantee.

Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Mono Lake is actually a California state reserve and visitors can currently access the South tufa interpretive trail. I believe that the tours that are offered in conjunction with USFS rangers have ended for the season, but the trail signs are very informative and it's a fascinating walk. The county park off 395 at the northern end of the lake is also open. The Mono Basin visitor center may be closed, but the Mono Lake Committee has their own visitor center and store in Lee Vining. The Bodie ghost town is also open and would only close for bad weather (which would most likely also close Tioga Pass).

Mentioned in this post
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California
California
California
United States
Bodie
Bodie
268 Reviews
California
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Mono Lake and Bodie are definitely worth seeing.

My understanding is that cancellation policy at the Ahwahnee will be liberal throughout the shutdown (yesterday, someone posted the rules - I think they're still on the front page of the Yosemite forum). IIRC, if the shutdown continues, you are automatically refunded/cancelled.

I'd keep those reservations. Give us a few more days to shame the members of Congress who think they are supposed to use the budget to make policy back into alignment with their job descriptions. Unfortunately, most of the people on this forum do not live in the areas that elected the errant, misinformed congresspersons, but there's word out that normal GOP members are trying to corral up the new/misinformed ones and instruct them about their job.

Which is to pass a budget to fund the doings of the government of the United States, so that everything can be open and functional. Every year at this time, they have to pass a budget, just like every other public entity, and they need to pass one that Senate will accept. Sounds easy peasy to me. Using the budget to reshape the legal landscape is a no-no.

Mentioned in this post
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California
Bodie
Bodie
268 Reviews
California
United States
United States
North America
Montreal
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

I made the Ahwahnee reservation with National Parks Reservations. I just called them and they said that they would not adhere to their cancellation policy and that we could get a full refund and there would be no penalties.-I just hope that this is true. They are telling me I do not have to cancel within 7 days of my arrival date (if the strike is still on). Normally I would have to cancel by October 12. This is the same date I would have to cancel my 3 day trip to Tahoe which is my back-up plan. I leave for my trip on October 18. A risky stupid option is to wait it out till our arrival in Reno on October 19. Cancel the Tahoe reservations for 3 days on October 12 and then take my chances with whatever Tahoe accommodation is available on our arrival and hope and pray that everything works out for the Ahwahnee.

For Mono Lake is it really necessary to arrive at sunrise or sunset to take really good photos of the tuffas? Taking photos of the tufas would be the main reason for travelling this far. We will have to travel light without tripods and water shoes but are still hopeful of taking some great shots. How does the morning lift compare as opposed to late afternoon light?

How far is it to Calaveras? This could be a great side trip.

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,543 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

FYI ~ we advise against using NationalParkReservations. The extra costs and poor cancellation policies have made some folks very upset. >>there would be no penalties.-I just hope that this is true.<< I hope so too!

Using the official concessionaire is the best option. www.YosemitePark.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
242 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

oops-wish I had known. I think I used them because I booked relatively late and they were the only ones coming up with a vacancy. I think I will heed your warning. I would rather lose $100 than $1200. I will play it safe and wait it out until October 12. Better be safe than sorry. thanks again for the warning.

LA
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancel Ahwahnee for Oct 20 &21 and stay in Tahoe longer?

Morning light is lovely at Mono. Probably better than evening because having the mountains so close means you don't get a "full sunset". The sun goes behind the mountains early and you don't get an expansive vista at sunset. Most of the best Mono Lake photos are taken at sunrise, I belive.

Mentioned in this post
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California