We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

Sydney, Autralia
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

Hi contributors

We are from Australia and currently in San Francisco, we had plans to visit yosemite but....no more.

With the help of this forum I have booked a place in Arnold to see the calaveras big trees state park and another place westin monache mammoth mountain (each for a few days).

We will drive through yosemite :)

My thanks to all the kind hearted Americans who have dedicated time assisting clueless foreigners (like me)

Very much appreciated x

Let's hope they sort this out before I get to the Grand Canyon or otherwise Hello Sedona ha ha ha

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

Hurrah! Glad you are finding some good alternatives. You're gonna have a great time!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,365 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

Thank you for being so understanding and so willing to create a Plan B. I hope you have an absolutely fabulous trip! We'd love to hear back from you after your recreated California vacation.

Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada is another place of natural beauty that is open to visitors.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

As the saying goes- you have made lemonaide out of lemons. Arnold is a neat little town. I don't know if you like microbrew beers, but they have a very nice one in Arnold. http://snowshoebrewing.com/beers.html

There are many wineries in the area if you enjoy wine. You can't miss them and many of them have on site tasting. visitmurphys.com/category/…

Ironside Winery has wonderful and lovely facilities.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 04:45
Sydney, Autralia
Level Contributor
90 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

Well we do like a drink so will be sure to check it out.

Thanks again

I will post a report when I return home :) it will be interesting (on the forum) seeing what hidden gems will be discovered now that the 'big ticket' parks are out of the question.

California
Level Contributor
687 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

There will be many hidden gems on your trip. If you have time and interest in trains, you can go to Railtown 1897 State Park. I've heard good things about Columbia State Park, which is also in that area, but haven't visited it yet so can't personally vouch for it.

I used to think that Sedona should have been a national park. But this month, it is a good thing that it isn't. Oak Creek Canyon is a nice drive - but it's through national forest so you probably won't be able to stop along the way. Flagstaff is also very nice but a lot of the places I like there are federal properties so will be closed. :-(

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

I'd second the recommendation for Columbia State Park and/ or Jamestown. The former is a great slice of gold rush history, the latter is fun if you are a train nut.

The drive on 49 from Arnold through to 120 to get to Yosemite is a very nice one. And you will see some beautiful scenery along the Tioga Pass. Just be sure to stop for gas and a bathroom break before you enter the park. The last stop is just past the exit for Hardin Flat Rd. You'll see the results of the recent Rim fire along the way, too.

Speaking of the Rim Fire, consider a stop in Groveland, maybe at the Iron Door Saloon (which is actually a restaurant now.) The folks in that area lost a lot of money during the fire closures, so anything can help!

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

You can still drive Highway 120 through the park to the east side of the Sierras. Saddlebag Lake is outside the park and has lovely views and hiking. You can still visit Bodie Ghost Town State Park and Mono Lake State park. You can still get a glimpse at Yosemite.

And YES. Please stop in Groveland and support the local restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. These people have been doubly hit as macjack mentions.

California
Level Contributor
687 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

I don't think that Saddlebag Lake will be open - isn't in a national wilderness? Or are roads (albeit a rather rough road like the one to Saddlebag Lake) are not blockaded?

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

That is www.IronstoneVineyards.com in Murphys, CA -- it's a pretty amazing winery. Enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanks TA for saving our holiday :)

+999 for all the great advice by all the helpful and informative contributors in this forum!

Much appreciated :)