We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Hello all,

My wife and I will be spending a few days in San Francisco, before hiring a car and going on to visit Yosemite in mid November for a few days. We're looking forward to seeing the Yosemite wilderness.

1. Where would be the best place on the west side of Yosemite to get accommodation and access to the park in mid November? We are not serious hikers but would like to see as much wildlife/views as possible. We're not wanting to camp. Some comfortable accommodation would be ideal.

2. From Yosemite we then have to make our way through to Vegas (where our flights leave) and were thinking of doing this via a Monterey/LA detour (about 4 days) as it seems as though more direct scenic routes via Tioga Pass may be closed and we'd prefer to avoid the risk of bad weather. We are from South Africa and not used to driving in the wintry conditions, with snow chains and the like.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,759 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Hi

The Top Questions on the right side of the page has all the listings for lodgings. You'll probably want to be fairly close to or actually in Yosemite Valley.

At the end of your visit, you might consider going to Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias at the South End of the Park. Then exit via the South Entrance / Hwy 41 and begin your drive toward your next destination. Depending on the timing for this day, you could stay in Oakhurst or Fresno, or perhaps further on.

If you choose to drive to the coast, head for Monterey and then down through Big Sur to Cambria / Pismo Beach.

If you choose to loop around the southern end of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, you should go to Death Valley NP. (Lone Pine first would be a nice addition to this trip.)

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
Fresno
Fresno
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Thanks so much for your recommendations!

So we're thinking of doing the following:-

- 3 nights at Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite

- Drive down to Bakersfield for a night (not sure if there are any nicer options in the vicinity?)

- Drive around to Lone Pine for a night (as you've recommended)

- Drive from Lone Pine through Death Valley to Furnace Creek for a night

- Final leg through to Vegas.

Would be grateful if you could let us know if that makes sense.

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Furnace Creek
Furnace Creek
Death Valley National Park, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,759 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Tenaya Lodge is NOT in Yosemite. It's about an hour from Yosemite Valley but just a few minutes from the South Entrance. It works well for some folks, but don't think you'll be in Yosemite.

If you're staying in Fish Camp (Tenaya Lodge), I would recommend making a long day's drive to Lone Pine. Stopping in Bakersfield would make sense if you had kids who absolutely couldn't spend another minute in the car, but most folks should be able to last till you arrive someplace more scenic. How about Ridgecrest?

Spend two nights in Death Valley NP if possible.

For ideas from other folks about the California drive from Yosemite NP to Death Valley NP, I'd recommend making a new thread on the state forum page. So far you just have my feedback, and that's not enough!

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
Fish Camp
Fish Camp
California
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

OK great - thanks... I'll post the thread on the other page :) Appreciate all your help!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,002 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

I would stay in Yosemite Valley if at all possible - Yosemite Lodge or a heated cabin at Curry Village. Otherwise, Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal is a good alternative choice. I agree though, Tenya Lodge is not in a great location for seeing Yosemite Valley. It is a nice place and good for exploring the southern end of the park, but the drive back and forth to the valley is long.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
El Portal
El Portal
California
California
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

Hello. I see this morning that you can get reservations in Yosemite Valley (great access to all of the major rock formations and waterfalls) at the Yosemite Lodge for the nights of November 10 through November 17 for about 150 U.S. dollars per night. If Tioga Pass is still open, you could also drive during the day to see the upper elevations of Yosemite Park in the Tuolomne Meadows area. Good luck, and have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
7. Re: San Francisco to Yosemite in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:17