We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kitchenette vs eating out

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kitchenette vs eating out

Staying in El Portal for 6 nights. Nothing affordable in the Park and I keep checking. Trying to decide if I should book Yosemite View Lodge (YVL) which has a kitchenette and cook meals vs staying at Cedar lodge and eating in the Park. Don't want to spend money on lousey overpriced dinners in the park. Question: how is the food in the park (not including at the expensive hotels)? I figured we could cook up a pot of chili at YVL since it has a kitchen. Is YVL really worth $45 more than Cedar lodge?

California
Level Contributor
647 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

Food in the park is nothing special. I eat out as little as possible as it is not worth it to me.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

So it looks like the only two lodging options you'll consider are

Yosemite View Lodge ~ closer to Yosemite NP, kitchenette in the room

Cedar Lodge ~ another 10-12 minutes from Yosemite NP, no kitchenette, $45 cheaper

===========

How is the food in Yosemite?

For some people, it's not worth the money. It's just convenient for folks to eat at one of the in-park dining options.

I assume you're comfortable with picnic breakfasts & lunches. You could even stay in the Park for dinner and go to one of the picnic areas with a table. Set up a portable grill or use one of the public grills, or buy an inexpensive camp stove and heat up your chili or soup. It's not hard to feed yourselves, if that's what you prefer.

========

A few more options...

Indian Flat RV Park ~ two cabins with kitchenettes $129 + tax

Yosemite Bug in Midpines ~ Barn Studio for $155 & up + tax or Duplex cabin room (no kitchen) $75 & up + tax

Yosemite West inside the Park gates ~ Studio condo $210 + tax

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

It depends on whether you plan on leaving the park in time for dinner -- or hanging around the park and having dinner there. When we've stayed outside the park (during summer) -- we've mostly brought a small packet of charcoal or our camp stove and cooked simple meals in the picnic areas itself while others played in the area. The sun is still out so it seemed a waste to have to drive back and make dinner while kids use the pool. But that's certainly an option if others in your party don't mind swimming in a pool, watching TV, surfing the web or resting while dinner is being prepared.

By the way, some of the options at Yosemite are not too bad -- pizza, bar/grill at Yosemite Lodge and pre-made sandwiches.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 20:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

I figured we would have picnic lunches on the top of a mountain or near a waterfall. Plan on doing lots of hiking. Thank you for the other lodging suggestions. I looked into Yosemite West Studios but wasn't crazy about going up & down a latter to go to bed (loft). This is a 2 week vacation that involves Napa/Sonoma and San Francisco. Need to budget when I can unless I win lottery. LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

The reason I chose El Portal is that it appears to be the closest to the park within my budge (>$200 p/n). It's just my boyfriend and I. My brother stayed at Cedar Lodge and said it was ok and convenient to the park. I'm shooked how expensive lodging is around the park. YS/Tetons and Utah are way cheaper. I am open to lodgin suggestions. We are coming from SF.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

There are studio condos and loft condos. They're not the same.

Yes, lodging is expensive in and near Yosemite.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

Camp 4.

Bring tent, warm clothes and inflatable mattresses. You'll be fine. $5 each per night.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
487 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

We spent 5 nights in Yosemite recently and we had a cabin in Foresta. Aside from the lodging costs (paid before the trip), the 5 nights were the cheapest in our 4 weeks USA trip, because we cooked for ourselves, and had fab meals too! We spent roughly $70-90 in a supermarket in Bishop before arriving and I think we bought two sandwiches in the deli on two occasions costing $20 or so. That was it for our spending on food in Yosemite!

One of our days was always going to be cheap, 15 Clif Bars to get us to the top of Half Dome & back!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

I booked a one bedroom apartment (Cozy Bear Accommodations) for $175 p/n in Yosemite West. We're staying an extra night because it was free. Any comments regarding staying in Yosemite West? She said we were 12miles from the Valley itself. At least we are now in the park and don't have to queue up at the gate.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kitchenette vs eating out

I don't know this property, but it's an excellent location. Thee is a traveler article in the Top Questions just about Yosemite West.