We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

Hi

A million apologise if this has been answered before.

I am travelling to Yosemite from SF in the last week of Nov and plan to spend one night in the park. I am from a part of the world where snow chains is an alien concept so I really hope to avoid having to think about them.( aside from the hassle is also about the safety since there is no snow where I come from) Hence I was wondering where is the nearest point I can go to where a park and ride is avail and I don't have to worry about the chains? I see someone suggested Mariposa? Would that be the recommendation? Any advice appreciated .

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

Yes, Mariposa would be my choice for leaving the car.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

Pay attention to the road conditions and weather. If you are driving in along 140, then you may not need chains at all (other than to have rented them and have them in your car as a precaution.) Both 140 and the valley are at low enough elevations that the snow often misses them. I only mention this because the buses run within certain limited hours this time of year, so you will have more flexibility in your stay if you are able to have your own car.

However, another choice would be to drive a little further to El Portal and leave your car there. In fact, in the deep of winter, I'd recommend that anyone concerned about chains just stay at the Cedar Lodge or Yosemite View Lodge and catch the bus from there. The chain control area is just past Yosemite View Lodge, so you can often avoid snow that way.

Castro Valley, CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

I'm not the OP, but am planning a quick trip into Yosemite with my family on our way home from a soccer tournament. We've got a room at the Yosemite View Lodge for next Sunday, Nov. 10. Does the shuttle bus run to the hotel during November. I couldn't quite see from looking at the NPS website, or here. Many thanks.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

Yarts (www.yarts.com) does run from the view Lodge into Yosemite valley all year round. There is a fee for the bus (see website).

Once in Yosemite valley, the park free shuttle can transport you around about half of Yosemite vary, including to the Yosemite Lodge where other paid bus tours depart from.

Happy planning!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

El Portal is closest and as mentioned, the Yarts bus stops at both the Cedar and Zyisemite. View Lodge. Check the winter bus schedule at the YARTS website. If you take the bus, the bus fare includes admission fee to yosemite.

6. Re: Where is the best place to park and ride to avoid snow chain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 06:18