We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Hi all,

Just having a brief look at hotels in Yosemite National park and at quick first glance the Ahwahnee & The Lodge at the falls are booked.

Have found Evergreen Lodge.... it says in it's National park BUT, I can't see it on the suggested hotels on the Yosemitepark.com website or the suggested hotels on here Top Q's.

It is No 1 on Yosemite hotels on Trip advisor though

I'm confused.... is this a good choice ? or should I look at El Portal ? or somewhere else?

California
Level Contributor
641 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Evergreen Lodge is not inside Yosemite Park but it is just a bit outside the park's boundaries.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Yes just outside along 120. No worries about getting confused. It IS confusing. I found a table listing travel times from various lodging areas to the valley on one of the hotel pages. Will find for you later unless someone else comes along. I don't remember exactly how long is drive time from Evergreen to the valley. 45 mins? Someone correct me?

If you are set on staying in the valley, keep checking the availability calendar as folks cancel all the time.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,655 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

You can make a reservation at the Evergreen Lodge that is cancelleable and then keep checking for availability at the Lodge at the Falls as you may find a room closer to your travel dates when people cancel.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

The Evergreen Lodge site tells you were it is located and includes drive times from it to different areas in Yosemite:

http://www.evergreenlodge.com/evergreen.html

I didn't see anywhere on the site where it said it was in the national park, but it does say it is in the national forest, which can be confusing to people who aren't familiar with the various jurisdictions for natural areas in the US.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

As already suggested, make a booking somewhere but keep checking accommodation for Lodge at the Falls (or The Ahwahnee if the budget stretches that far) because cancellations do come up as people's plans change.

That said, El Portal is a good option if you're not bothered by the drive. My husband and I have stayed at Yosemite View Lodge three times (BUT next visit we are going to plan early and stretch to The Ahwahnee). It's outside of the park and about 40 minutes to the main valley (where the visitor centre and parking and shuttle is etc.). It may not be ideal if you are travelling with young children and you want to be able to give them afternoon naps because then the drive could be tiresome.

The othe thing to keep in mind is that the day use parking can fill up during the most popular months so if you are arriving in the afternoon having been somewhere else in the morning (say, the Mariposa Grove), sometimes it can be tricky finding a park.

What are your plans while you visit? Do you intend to fill your days with long day hikes where you can arrive early, park the car in the day use parking and then head off on foot? Or are you more likely to want to do something in the morning, relax at lunchtime and then do something else in the afternoon? You can still do this even if your accommodation is outside the valley, just relax in the meadow or by the river. Personally I find there is no shortage of things to do in the valley and I would rather be there than in a hotel room.

Just one other thing that might be worth mentioning is that Yosemite at night is really dark, so if you want to do ranger talks or other activities in the valley in the evening, then you will be driving back to your accommodation in the dark (on the 'wrong' side of the road).

Edited: 30 October 2013, 19:46
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Thanks all for,your info

Well, hubby is checking with boss his holiday dates and by Friday we will knows for sure exactly our dates. We haven't booked our flights yet of course so surely I should wait to book Yosemite?? But saying that, I know how limited availability is.

When you say book and then cancel, how does that work? Do i have to pay at time of booking? I wouldn't want to lose any money .

I wanted a nice accommodation , somewhere like Ahwahnee or lodge falls but the dates we are looking at are all booked. Don't want to camp.

I have short listed a little cute b&b called Yosemite Blue Butterfly that looks nice and has availability , so does the Evergreen .....can't decide.....

What do you experts think ? :-)

Sorry , in answer to Aussiegirl, I won't be doing loads of hiking so it will,be something in the morning, lunch then afternoon before heading back to lodging in the evening

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

Re booking & canceling: Most places here either don't charge anything upfront, or charge only one night as a deposit; most have pretty generous cancelation policies, e.g. "cancel up to 48 hours before arrival to avoid charge". However, some promo rates are not refundable, some smaller places have stricter cancelation policies, and many third-party sites charge cancelation fees. ***Re parks - if you book your in-park Yosemite room on any site other then the official concessionaire's, a cancelation can cost you about 15% (and the room rate will have been higher to boot). Best to stick with DNC directly.

Just make sure you read and understand any lodging's policy before you book - it should be right there on the website before you finalize the reservation.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

"When you say book and then cancel, how does that work? Do i have to pay at time of booking? I wouldn't want to lose any money ."

Every hotel has it's own cancelation policy, so you just need to know what the cancelation policy is for the place you are booking. It will be listed somewhere on the web site. For Evergreen Lodge, you can find their cancelation policy here:

www.evergreenlodge.com/reservations.html

Regarding payment - a lot of hotels require a deposit at the time of booking and then the balance paid when you check out. Others don't require any deposit. And some will offer you a reduced rate if you pay the entire stay at the time of booking. It just depends on the policy of the hotel.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

november - that's the driving time chart I remember. Thanks for linking it.

anne - if you will know in a few days, I think it may be ok to wait. But like everyone says, read the fine prints. For my last trip to Yosemite, I held multiple camping reservations. There was a cancellation fee but for me the fee was small enough that I used is as an "insurance." Some lodging may charge a small fee as well, but read thoroughly.

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
301 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Managed to confuse myself with Yosemite hotels...

You should give Big Creek Inn at Fishcamp a look. We spent two nights there last September during a 3 week driving holiday and imo it was by far the best accomodation we stayed in

.www.yosemiteinn.com

Check their reviews on Tripadvisor