We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

In another post PeroB mentioned a link which says Tioga Pass is going to be cold next weekend (8th Nov). If not completely closed, I may need tire chains.

I have question regarding putting tire chains on rental cars. When it is said that "Tire chains are not allowed on rental cars" (Enterprise), what does it means ? While returning their car, do they inspect tires or put some fines if any visible marks are there ? Or just insurance will be void if we put them (which itself is a big risk here) ?

I am just looking at option of putting tire chains on rental cars, without much mess.

Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
509 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Firstly if Tioga Pass is closed, it's closed no matter if you have chains or not, you won't get through.

I would guess, that if you use chains on a rental car, yes the insurance is void & if there's any damage you will be liable. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I am in the same boat as you looking at a trip in February where coming from Ireland I will have to rent a 4x4 and get chains to get into the park, but I wont use them if at all possible. I'll have a contingency plan to wait out any storm.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,888 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Hi

The Top Question on the right "Do I really need tire chains to visit in the winter?" will offer more details for you. This article has a good summary. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c129647

irish_captain is right. Using tire chains will void your insurance (f you have damage and the rental company finds out.)

LA
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Tioga Pass is an all-or-nothing road.

It is either open, without driving restrictions, or closed, with a large metal gate blocking the way.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

What it means is that if you took the insurance from the rental company using chains would invalidate their insurance and you'd be liable for damage done to the car.

If I had a rental and needed chains, I'd get chains and use them as needed and not worry about the rental car company. A car with chain damage is better than a tree that wrapped around a tree due to lack of traction.

I know that I am covered by my insurances for damages that might be incurred, you should check your homeowners, auto and credit card policies.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Another option is to leave your car at the Park-and-Ride in the town of Mariposa, California (west of the park) and take a YARTS bus up into the park. See http://yarts.com for the Highway 140 route. That way, you would not have to worry about tire chains or mountain driving at all.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Thanks all for excellent explanations.

If Tioga Pass is open, I would definitely to go that way (Yosemite to Tioga Pass). Now I have option to take own Accord car and purchase chain OR rent out RAV4 from Enterprise and rent chain. In Later case, my purchased chains will go waste after my journey, because chain size will be different for RAV4 tires and Accord tires.

I was leaning towards renting being SUV, but tire chain cost......

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

As of today, Tioga Road is open. You would be able to drive any car on it today; an SUV or 4WD would not be necessary. The weather forecast, at least according to intellicast.com, doesn't predict any storms between now and the 10th. The forecast for Lee Vining predicts clear weather for the 8th, 9th and 10th. So if that holds true, you should be able to drive Tioga Road on those days. However it will be cold; for Saturday the high is predicted to be 53 but the nightly low down to 15. So it should be clear but cold! Monday the 11th is predicted to have rain there and Tuesday the 12th, snow. So I would make a prediction that Tioga Road will probably close for the rest of the year on the 11th. If you are driving that road on the 8th, 9th or 10th, you should be fine. However there will likely be no services along the road; I think the gas pump, store and cell phone tower at Tuolumne Meadows will have already shut down for the year. So gas up well in Bishop (gas is cheaper there than in Lee Vining).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,678 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Are the Rav4 tires bigger than the Accord tires? Because chains that are "too big" can be adjusted temporarily (with bungee tighteners) or permanently by removing links.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

Not sure about tires sizes. But if chains are adjustables, it is good option. I will go for it.

LA
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What means "tire chains not allowed on rental cars" ?

All services in Tuolumne Meadows are shut down for the winter.