We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with one Full day at Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Help with one Full day at Yosemite

Hi,

I will be leaving from LA to Yosemite and then Lake Mammoth. My plan is like this -

Day - 1 - LA to El Portal. Will reach by evening. I will stay at Yosemite Cedar Lodge, El Portal. Over night stay.

Day - 2 - Leave hotel in morning. To Yosemite and ???? Cross Tioga Pass and stay at Lake Mammoth in night.

Day - 3 - Visit places around and leave for LA in afternoon.

I have been reading other forums and stuffs posed here and can gather some information. Still I have some queries.

I will start from El Portal in morning and can see these can be main points to cover. El Portal - Mirror Lake and Half Dome - Mised Trail - Vernal Falls - Lower Yosemite Fall Trail - Bridalveil Fall - Tunnel View Tuolumne Meadows - Tioga Pass

Here is google map - http://goo.gl/maps/8XqLR

Is this correct order ?

Badger Pass seems to out of my way. Am I correct ? Can I cover Glacier Point also ? As per map, Glacier Point and Half Dome are close but road goes long way from each other. is this correct ? http://goo.gl/maps/ggHxZ

If it is difficult to cover all in a day, what places I can add or remove from it ?

We are couple and will be driving RAV4. Next week sun will go down around 4:50, so I will have time till around 6 to reach hotel at Mammoth or Lee Vining or Bishop (I have not booked hotel yet for that day)

Regards

Edited: 04 November 2013, 20:00
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with one Full day at Yosemite

I rearranged the order: http://goo.gl/maps/AnF9u

You'll drive in on Hwy 140 which becomes El Portal Road. When you get the western edge of the Valley, you'll be funnelled onto a one way road over the river. After about a mile, turn right toward Fresno. Drive about 2 miles up to Tunnel View. Take in the views. Drive back down the road you've just used and stop at Bridalveil Fall. Back in the car and pass the intersection where you turned right. Now you're back on one-way Southside Drive. Go to the Visitor Parking lot.

Get on the free Valley shuttle and ride to Happy Isles. This is the trailhead for Vernal Fall. It's not too long, but it's somewhat steep. Continue over the footbridge for some additional nice views. You don't have to go to the top of the waterfall to enjoy this hike.

Back down the trail. Get on the shuttle again and ride to the Mirror Lake trailhead (next stop.) Walk up this handicapped accessible lightly used road to Mirror Lake/Meadow. You'll have a nice view of Half Dome from the bottom. (You had a distance view from Tunnel View earlier in the day.) If you want a flat Valley walk, take the trail to the Ahwahnee Hotel and on to Lower Yosemite Fall. (Valley Loop Trail.) If not, walk back to the shuttle stop and ride to Lower Yosemite Fall. Eventually, ride or walk back to your car.

This map shows one way roads, Tunnel View, and all the parts of the Valley you are intending to see. nps.gov/yose/…yosevalley2008.pdf

On your drive out of the Valley, stop at Valley View on your left just before Northside Drive becomes El Portal Road. It's marked on that map.

Webcam views: nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Right now Yosemite Fall is dry. It will flow when it rains. I don't know if you still want to include a walk to the base when there isn't any water.

===========

IF, and it's a big IF, Glacier Point Road is open, you might choose to drive up there for views. It's about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs from El Portal and then an hour down to the Valley Visitor Center Parking. Stop at Washburn Point as well as Glacier Point. You can see the major waterfalls from Glacier Point, tho' this is a distance view.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with one Full day at Yosemite

Thank you PNWF, I just had a virtual visit as I read your post.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with one Full day at Yosemite

Thanks PNWF. Excellent post.

As per your post, I understood that I will be coming from Hotel to Visitor Parking lot (after covering Tunnel View and Bridalveil Fall). I will leave my car there to take shuttle. Shuttle will take me to all metioned points (nps.gov/yose/…valleyshuttle.pdf) and then bring back to Visitor Center.

It seems I will not be able to visit Glacier Point with my tight time window (IF that road is open). I do not want to loose Tioga Pass due to less light in evening. I will skip Yosemite Fall, as you said it may not have water.

By what time I SHOULD leave visitor center, so that I must cross Tioga Pass/Eatern Sierra in natural light ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with one Full day at Yosemite

Here is the mileage chart with drive time estimates that the NPS has published. It's from the Visitor Center. nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

They suggest 1 hr 30 min to Tuolumne Meadows and another 15 min to the Tioga Pass Entrance station.

www.SunriseSunset.com is my favorite tool for planning hours of daylight.

5. Re: Help with one Full day at Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:18