We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clouds Rest in late May, early June

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Clouds Rest in late May, early June

I will be in Yosemite during in late May, early June 2014 - I want to see the waterfalls at their best.

My ambition is to hike Clouds Rest. I understand that the hike if from Tioga Road. Assuming this is open, is the trail likely to be covered in snow? Would I need crampons? I am an experienced winter hiker in the British National Parks, but avoid hiking when crampons are needed.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,886 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

In addition to needing good route finding skills for the snow covered trail, you'll need good water crossing skills. The stream should be full & freezing. Another member called it "waist deep flooded" in early June (usually.)

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,886 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

Found a 2nd hand report from May 2012 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k54142… That was a 43% snowpack winter.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

Thank-you for the link. I have hiked in the Scottish mountains in the snow, but so far from home I think I would play it a little safer. I am sure there are lower levels hikes that will keep us happy for our 4 days in Yosemite if we go too early for the higher altitudes.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

The Panorama Trail will be unreal that time of year, and I highly highly recommend it. It is a one-way trip though, so you need to catch a bus up to Glacier Point and hike down or hike up and catch a bus down (or hitchhike I guess). But you get close to three very large waterfalls that will be going absolutely nuts, and the view East across to the Clark range is beautiful from walk a half hour - full hour or so past Glacier Point. Start about 11AM or noon or so if heading down so you're not looking into the Sun. Then go grab a beer at the Pizza Deck after lol. I'd hike it downward rather than upward, for the views east.

If the Four-Mile Trail is open, you could make that a loop by going up 4-Mile and down Panorama. Not sure if it will be though (it has some pretty dangerous shaded areas before all the snow melts out).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

yosemitehikes.com/glacier-point-road/panoram…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

I have heard Mount Dana can often be doable that time of year since it's almost entirely above tree line. It is the highest dayhike in the park and has views of Mono Lake as well as Mount Lyell and the Lyell Glacier. In a low snow year it could be doable then.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,886 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

Trail closures (historical data ... at the end of the page) nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

@SpursFan_17, PacificNWFamily thank-you for the links - I did Angels Landing in Zion last year - this made me want to do Half Dome - then I saw Clouds Rest and thought that looks better - so put that on my to-do list, but in Yosemite I would prioritise waterfalls ahead of high altitude hikes - the panorama trail looks wonderful - so I think he will visit just late enough (based on the stats) to feels certain Glacier Point would be open, but early enough to see those waterfalls at or close to their best : )

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

If you can, try to come back in July, August, or September some time to do Clouds Rest; it really is an amazing view as you're hiking up that arete. Nothing scary whatsoever if you don't have a fear of heights, as it's something like 3-5 feet wide at worst in a spot or two, but mostly more like 12 feet wide. You can see so much from there too in all directions. But Panorama, wow, that is going to be unreal in May. I thought it was mindblowing when I did it one year in late August; can't imagine it in peak waterfall season.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 02:44
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clouds Rest in late May, early June

It'd be worth it to get in the Half Dome lottery. You'd be covering a bit of the same trail you did on Panorama, but it's definitely worth doing and while the view isn't quite as good as it is from Clouds Rest, it's still flat out unforgettable. Plus it's always nice to do a ballbusting hike that tough once in your life lol.