We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Hi there

I'm just trying to get some clarity on what route I can take from Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May. We will be leaving from Evergreen Lodge and I was hoping to go through Death Vally to Las Vegas, but from reading the various forum, I'm not sure if this will be possible?

So I am after some advice on the most suitable route and also advice on whether to stay overnight somewhere along the way, rather than try to do the drive in one day.

Thanks in advance.

Cassie

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

As you know, Tioga Pass will almost certainly be closed. You don't say how much time you have.

http://goo.gl/maps/i99q2

http://goo.gl/maps/a0k64

Latter would be more scenic, albeit longer. If you're doing it in a day, I would skip DV.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 11:58
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Thanks Sutter

We can stay overnight along the way, but only for one night.

If we choose to skip DV, then should we stay on the 58 until we meet the I5 at Barstow?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Yes, you can but I would not want to skip Death Valley NP. Maybe from Groveland all the way to Ridgecrest, stay overnight and next day via Death Valley to Las Vegas.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,920 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Sutter's option A begins in Yosemite Village. But Evergreen Lodge is NOT inside Yosemite NP and is almost an hour from Yosemite Village. Here is a corrected map: http://goo.gl/maps/4bJXl

The northern route suggested is actually shorter since you would not start in Yosemite but would start outside the Park. Here is a modification of that route that actually includes Hwy 395 and Death Valley NP http://goo.gl/maps/ojdR9

More info for you

Crossing the Sierra (with historical opening dates for the mountain passes and an explanation of the Southern Rouite) tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581 It's possible that Hwy 108 would be open in time for your drive.

Info about the Tioga Pass route (probably closed) but including Hwy 395 and Death Valley tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

I would definitely stay a day on the way and definitely include fabulous Death Valley NP (even tho' I love Yosemite National Park best.)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Northern route more scenic, and if it's also shorter, then an easy choice, whether or not you stop in DV.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,920 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

I meant that the original estimates in Reply 1 were each off by about 45 - 60 min as the OP is staying outside the Park at the Evergreen Lodge.

Google Map estimates.... Nonstop driving. No fuel or food needed.

Original Option A from Yosemite Valley (south and through Death Valley) 10 hr 2 min Option A from Evergreen Lodge 10 hr 42 min

Original Option B from Yosemite Valley (north / Hwy 88 with a tiny peek into Death Valley) 12 hr 57 min Option B from Evergreen Lodge 11 hr 53 min

Option C (north and including Hwy 395 & Death Valley) 11 hr 56 min

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

If you take the northern route (and check if 108 is open) you can drive to Bishop or even Lone Pine to stay for the night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

Thanks everyone.

That's very helpful information. And thanks for the map routes, they are great and just what I needed.

Cassie.

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

It is going to be a long long day if you drive Highway 108. It is a long slow drive. When you join 395 north of Bridgeport, you still have another 3 hours drive to Lone Pine.

Could easily be 8 hours of driving that day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas in early May

I have had a chance to look at all the info provided and have a couple of questions:

Sutter- when you refer to the Northern route being more scenic, are you referring to the route via Hwy 395 or Hwy 95?

If we go via Hwy 395 then through Death VAlley, would it be a good plan to stay in Lone Pine, then make an early start the next day to drive through Death VAlley?

Thanks

Cassie