We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite in May/Driving Options

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite in May/Driving Options

My boyfriend and I are planning on visiting Yosemite NP on the 9th and 10th of May 2014. I have been looking but cant really find much info on good hikes to do at this time of the year any suggestions? I would really love to see some wildlife and waterfalls places with good views?

We will be driving from Las Vegas and want to get the drive done in a day we will definantly be needing a GPS to get there and as the Tioga pass (whatever its called) wont be open will take us another route iv heard horror stories of the GPS giving wrong directions and just wondering if the GPS will still no where to go as the pass will not be open!

Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,868 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite in May/Driving Options

My advice is to get a paper map. Don't rely on GPS "knowing" where to go. Look at a map, choose your route. Tioga Pass (Hwy 120 east of Yosemite Valley) may or may not be open in early May. Chances are it won't be, but if we have a light snow year and an early spring, it very well could be open then.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,881 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite in May/Driving Options

Hi emms101, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums

Please check out the Top Questions on the right side of the page (full TripAdvisor website, not the app.) There is info relevant to your trip. In particular, read

Where do we stay—Inside the park or outside the park?

Trip Reports: What have other travelers done in Yosemite?

What is a good route to travel to Yosemite from Las Vegas?

---

You are likely to need to use the southern route around the end of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, but it's slightly possible that Tioga Pass will be open. Definitely carry a paper map with you. Electronic tools such as a GPS, Google Maps, Bing maps, or whatever should not be your only source of information.

Daylight hours: www.SunriseSunset.com

If you stay in Yosemite Valley, you'll see waterfalls! If you're out in the early morning and/or around sunset, you're more likely to see animals.

You'll only have one day in Yosemite Valley, so you won't need to plan many hikes. Maybe just Mist Trail to the top of Vernal Fall, bike out to Mirror Lake, and take a short walk up to Bridalveil Fall. Read the other spring Trip Reports to see what others have done.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite in May/Driving Options

Here's an adventurous option:

Get a paper map and navigate by it. Just like the pioneers did.

4. Re: Yosemite in May/Driving Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:18