We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of April visit - hotel advice

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
End of April visit - hotel advice

We are planning a visit to Yosemite after a stay in Lake Tahoe. We plan to rent a car at the Reno airport fpr the whole trip. Will the road in from that direction be OK as far as snow at that time of year? We would stay one or two nights around Yosemite and I have no idea of what's a good location. We aren't big hikers, but would be up for some short hikes. I read some previous forum posts about some towns that were an hour and a half away from the Valley, which I guess is where many of the main sights are. That is too far away for me, although the options in the Valley seem really expensive or pretty poor quality (read some bad reviews of Yosemite Lodge). We do not camp. Thanks for any advice!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

Maybe check out El Portal, it's a 30-40 minute drive into the valley and quite a reasonable location. My husband and I have stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge a few times. It's a little tired perhaps but the beds are comfortable, the hot water is plentiful and the onsite store, restaurant and pizza place are convenient and good quality.

Also the location on the river is wonderful. I've only been there in June-July when the river is just chatting happily, in April I imagine it would be roaring, would love to see it then.

However, that said, for our next visit we are definitely staying in the valley itself. I think there are things you miss out on not being there, evening ranger talks and walks and so on. I believe some rooms at the lodge have been refurbished but I don't know which ones - I'm sure it was mentioned in an earlier thread - or someone else may be able to help.

At the end of April it's likely that the Tioga Pass Road (Hwy 120) will still be closed, so you will likely have to take the long way round to the valley, but I'll let someone more experienced make suggestions about that.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,740 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

Have you had a chance to look at the wealth of information on the top right side of your screen on a non mobile browser? -------------------------->>

Here is the article about the various lodging options. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c59487/Yosemit…

Edited: 07 January 2014, 01:23
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,740 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

Although the valley options are poor value in terms of price vs quality, it is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. I agree DNC can do better with some of their facilities but it is the same in many national parks where people will come regardless. I personally feel that first time visitors should spent their nights IN the valley. If you don't camp, it is either at the Lodge at the Falls, or one of the hard sided cabins with private baths at Curry Village. Ahwahnee if sky is the limit for budgets. I would rather camp or go to Housekeeping Camp then to stay at the tent cabins at Curry. Others may find it worthwhile to "commute" up to an hour to stay at El Portal.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 01:26
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

Staying in the valley makes the expensive worth it. If you have driven in at night, and then get up early next morning, step out of your accomodations, you will gasp. You will hear "oh my God!" from others who have just done the same. Driving in later from outside the valley, along with all the other cars, is just not the same.

Sunset is also beautiful. Walking along a path at night with your flashlight is fun.

The night ranger programs and Lee Stetson's John Muir stories are wonderful. (Wed-Sat, 7 pm, $8, starts Msy 2) are not to be missed. I think John Muir must have been hyperactive; his stories are amazing.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 02:00
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,302 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

>>Will the road in from that direction be OK as far as snow at that time of year?<<

You'll need to use Hwy 120 / Big Oak Flat entrance from the west. The eastern entrance, Tioga Pass, will be closed.

6. Re: End of April visit - hotel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:18