We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

I'm hoping to book a campsite in the Upper Pines next week when the reservations open up. Other than starting the reservation right before 7:00 (PT) and hitting the reserve button at the exact right moment, are there any other tips that I should keep in mind? I'm tent camping with 1-2 tents and 3-4 people at most but I was thinking I should try to book a standard non-electric site since there are more of them than any other type of site. Also, can you just book by site type and not site number or do you have to pick a specific site? Any recommendations for one site over another?

Thanks for any tips and sorry if these questions have been answered before, I looked for similar queries and didn't quite get all the info I needed.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

Good questions. I've been thinking about collecting the community ideas into one Traveler Article but haven't gotten around to it. (We just have a no-reservation article so far!)

Anyway, the Valley campgrounds are site specific. Tuolumne Meadows is the only one that is reservation by type, so it's always easier to get a reservation there.

You need to have a long list of any campsite that suits you. Since you're tent camping, you can fit into almost any campsite. The RV ones and the ones closest to the river are most popular, so try to find ones that are away from the maddening crowd. Someone else said that "RV Non Electric" are RV only, but I don't know if those exist in Upper Pines or if that is accurate info for this campground.

I think having several people try at once makes sense. In the past we have suggested that you sit with your group and if the first person doesn't get a site, have the second person try. But if you all try at once with different campsites, it seems like you'd increase your chances. See if anyone is lucky enough to secure a site and put it into their "shopping cart." If two people each get a site, just complete the reservation for the site that you want. I think each person will need to have an account on the reservation website and will need to be part of the camping party or to include the name of the person who will be camping on the reservation info page.

Suggestions for non reserved camping tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c162983

Campsite photos http://yosemitecampsites.com/

Campground Maps yosemite.ca.us/maps/campground_maps.html

Recent thread about campsites that may be flooded in May or June tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k70868…

Upper Pines campground review page: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g61000-d248058 (Please add your review after your trip.)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

The map diagrams are pretty accurate. We usually go for ones that look like there is more space and away from bathrooms. We also like the last loop as we can walk through the trees to the Happy Isles trailhead and bus stop. But that's the area with the creek that may flood early season. You should be ok with one site. We usually have to do mutiple ones and do the multiple computer thing. Good luck!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 18:23
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

>> non-electric site <<

There are *no* hookups of any kind within Yosemite valley :-(

This means that if you are next to any kind of RV, they will probably run the generator, within the allowed hours. They may also have to leave and return to dump tanks. Just a thought when you're trying to choose a campsite.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

Thank you so much for your responses. I am thinking of going the second week of June so it sounds like that last loop is desirable b/c of the easy cut through but not if it's flooded. I really appreciate all the links, PacificNWFamily, you really went above and beyond and have changed the way that I'm going to approach the reservation system next week!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

We'd love to hear how it works out for you. Reports from TA members make the forum so much more valuable.

Good luck!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

PNWF - this came on the other thread. Do you know which loop of Upper Pines is the one that cuts through to Happy Isles? I thought it was the one with sites #200's but Marmot mentioned the smallest loop so now i am not so sure.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

I saw your other question, but I am not familiar with specifics on the campsites. You could ask on other forums.

Lightly active: yosemite.ca.us/forum/ (there is a campground forum)

Mostly backpacking: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/list.php?3

Or you could call the camp ranger office: 209-372-8502

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

OK, I just checked my reservations for this summer. We were at the loop closest to the shortcut. We had 198 and 195-196. We have been at 201-203 in the past and it was much more spacious. The shortcut through the woods to Happy Isles is between 207-210.

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

Thank you for help, everyone! Fingers crossed for a reservation on Wednesday!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper Pines Camping Reservation questions.

May the reservations gods be on your side! Let us know how it turns out.