We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stoneman house curry village

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Stoneman house curry village

Does anyone know if hairblowers are provided at the Stoneman lodge motel rooms in Curry Village? Their website does not list them and I don't see them in their pictures.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 03:44
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stoneman house curry village

We have stayed there every other year or so for 20 years.... and I don't remember hair dryers, but don't not remember them... but as someone who wouldn't have need, my memory is suspect...

This kind of amenity is not the model for the place...

Randy

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stoneman house curry village

Thanks, I doubt they are available. I just thought I would check so I'll know if I will need to pack one. Since you have been there many times, I would like to ask you another question. I had originally booked 2 nights at the Tenaya Lodge, but after advice from others on this forum, I changed my reservation to only 1 night at Fish Camp and then the second night at Stoneman house. Some of the reviews of Curry Village have not been very flattering. I am assuming that since you have visited so many times it can't be all that bad. We want to be comfortable in a clean room and do not need all the fancy extras, especially for 1 night. The cost per night is pretty much the same at both locations. Do you agree that being able to spend more time in Yosemite, justifies the expense of a night in Curry Village?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stoneman house curry village

Staying in the valley is value and worthwhile. I think many of the negative reviews of curry are for the tents. I would rather car camp then stay in those, The Stoneman are different.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stoneman house curry village

Extra time in Yosemite Valley justifies the cost of Curry... Stoneman is (by Yosemite Valley standards) a reasonable modern accommodation... (the cabins or tent cabins might not be)

You are giving up some amenities in exchange for staying in one of the most wonderful places on earth...

Randy

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stoneman house curry village

Car camping is not allowed without campsite reservation.

The tents are okay if you cannot get campsites.

The disease which killed people 2 years ago go these lot of bad publicity.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stoneman house curry village

Curry Village is fun and fine, but rustic (and we too prefer car camping to staying in the tent cabins, but Stoneman is different - and I too doubt there will be hair dryers). Heck, for all I know, you might plug yours in and trip a circuit and end up with no power (I've had that happen at places in the Sierras - it's really a wilderness that people try to turn into a civilized place, sometimes with amusing results). The restrooms at Curry Village (the shared ones) do have plugs for blow dryers and I've seen people use them (to the disgruntlement of everyone else who is just there to brush their teeth and wash their hands...)

But if I weren't a car camper, and I wanted to see Yosemite, you can bet I'd stay even in those Curry tents than to stay outside the park - there's simply no difference. Seeing the sun come up (or go down), the stars at night, night hikes, wildlife sightings at dusk and dawn, the sound of the place at night, the owls, the bats making their squeaks, the birds at different times of day - all of that is lost on the person who has to leave the park to go outside for the night...

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stoneman house curry village

The issue with the tent cabins was Hantavirus, which is carried by deer mice... primarly via dried mouse poo... Curry had introduced new double wall insulated tents... for most a welcome upgrade... but the deer mice found the space between the double wall an inviting home... In general the mice (and Hantavirus) haven't been an issue in the regular tent cabins, the hard sided cabins or Stoneman. I believe that they have solved the problem with the delux tent cabins (or have removed them)

Deer mice mostly avoid people... the most common place to be exposed is rarely used spaces in remote places... storage buildings, utility vaults and such, so it isn't normally an issue... But if in a remote place (like the Sierras or the American Southwest) be very careful if you encounter mouse poo.... the good news is common diluted chlorine bleach will kill the virus.

Randy

8. Re: Stoneman house curry village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18