We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation in an Accessible site ...

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Novato, California
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reservation in an Accessible site ...

Hi,

When trying to make reservations this morning, the only thing I could reserve was an Accessible camp site. On the reservation it says "If no one in your party has needs for an accessible site, you may not reserve this site unless this is the only site available at the time of your request." This was the only site available and no one in my party has an accessible need.

My question is will the Ranger at check in give us a bad time? I dont think they will be able to move us as it will be a week long reservation with in a 35 ft RV spot.

Thanks,

Dewey

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation in an Accessible site ...

Hmmm. I'm glad that you got a reservation, but I don't know about using the accessible site.

I recommend calling the ranger and asking (not today as I bet it's crazy in the office in Yosemite Valley). 209-372-8502

Please let us know what you learn. All this information is valuable to the community and will be included in the Campsite Reservation article.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation in an Accessible site ...

If in fact it is the only available site, yes you can reserve it even though no one in your party needs it.

However, they could indeed move you under certain circumstances. Rangers can and do request that people change their campsites for any variety of reasons and their decision is basically law. For example, if when you get there and do not have the placard, and there is another site available they *may* put you in a non-accessible site (to save that accessible site in case someone else is stuck with a site that's hard for them - ADA may win out over your reservation priority). I've watched this happen in both Yosemite and Sequoia - it's not a big deal. You will likely end up with a very similar site (and if that accessible site is the only one available when you arrive and a disabled person who does *not* have a reservation wants it, they are out of luck). The only way a swap can happen though, is after you've shown up and been asked if you have a handicap placard - meantime, the disabled person who arrived earlier will be trying to make do with a non-accessible site (if that's what they reserved).

People are usually very kind and accommodating when they are moved around. Rangers know you don't want to move more than once and are unlikely to ask you to move more than once (and they can't know until you get there whether you have the placard displayed). They usually just try to get people to see the common sense of their decisions (and I've seen them ask people to swap for a variety of reasons...there can be neighbor problems in campgrounds, just as in any neighborhood). They also try to have a few "reserve" sites that never go into the reservation system, which they then place people in for a variety of reasons.

But you don't have to be disabled to stay in the site, but they do check to see if placards are properly displayed and if they see that you don't have one, they could ask you to move if it makes sense and there's another site for you. It's unlikely - but not impossible.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation in an Accessible site ...

thank you very much for your replies. I will call the Ranger in a few days, and then let you all know what he says.

Thanks! Dewey

4. Re: Reservation in an Accessible site ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18