We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Yosemite

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Dinner in Yosemite

Hi all, help requested again with our San Fran/Yosemite trip in late Sept this year. I'm looking at hotels in Yosemite and thinking particularly about dinner ..... after a hard days sight-seeing, I love a couple of glasses of wine! But I shall be driving, so not an option to do both. So I'm thinking that to have a nice dinner with wine, I'll have to stay in the hotel of the restaurant where I want to eat as am I right in thinking there won't be taxis available in the evenings? I'd love to do the The Ahwahnee Hotel, but we can't afford to stay there! will probably do just a lunch without wine .....I'm not really a picnicy kind of person, so what are your suggestions re evening dinner? Reading through some of the comments on here, it seems as though dinner starts and finishes quite early as I'm guessing it's more of a daytime place?

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,210 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in Yosemite

Hi

So you don't have lodging reservations yet? Hmmm. Read the lodging info in the Top Questions on the right.

If you dine at the Ahwahnee Dining Room, you can take the free shuttle back to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls or to less expensive Curry Village. But there isn't any other kind of transportation like a taxi or bus.

In September, The Ahwahnee Dining Room is open till 9 pm while the Ahwahnee Bar is open till 11 pm. At the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls area, the Mountain Room Lounge is open till 11 pm (food till 10 pm) and the Mtn Room Restaurant open till 8:30 pm.

Some folks like to bring a few bottles of really nice wine with them and enjoy a glass or two while relaxing on their balcony. Then they dine at the Mountain Room or the Ahwahnee.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,023 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in Yosemite

I must be getting old .... was forgetting about bringing a little something with me! thank you!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,210 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in Yosemite

Here is a thread with a discussion about hiring a car & driver in the Park as well as taxi services that are willing to travel into the Park (for a hefty fee!)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k69891…

And here is a report from a visitor to California in 2008. At the end of each day's blog entry he describes that evening's wine. …travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in Yosemite

the Ahwahnee dining room is not to be missed. The hotel is on of many old magnificent hotels in the national parks around the country, and its dining room is perhaps the most grand. But you don't need to "dine" there. Breakfast is great too and more likely to have sunshine and better views and be less crowded.

5. Re: Dinner in Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:18