We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Las Vegas

Ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite to Las Vegas

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. We are driving from San Francisco to Las Vegas via Yosemite and we would also like to see Death Valley. We have two days for Yosemite. We are planning on staying the first night in the valley. We were wondering where should we stay for the second night, we don't really want to leave the one day for the 9hour drive to vegas. Would mammouth lakes be a good option to stay there on the second night, it would help with the long journey the following day. Thanks, we are travelling the 15th of June.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Hi

If I read correctly you want to spend 2 nights on the way between San Francisco and Las Vegas. If that's the case I';d stay in Yosemite first night and second night in Bishop. Then drive via Death Valley to Las Vegas in one day.

Tet

Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes looking for somwhere the second night that is pretty close to Yosemite but on the way to Las Vegas. We will be leaving Yosemite in the afternoon to make it to the next stop

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

The article from the Top Questions describes the drive between Yosemite Valley and Las Vegas: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

Note that Yosemite Valley is one location in Yosemite National Park. When you say you're leaving Yosemite in the afternoon, it's not clear if you're leaving Yosemite Valley (for the two hour drive to the Tioga Pass Entrance of Yosemite NP and thus not stopping in Tuolumne Meadows) or if you're leaving the National Park after enjoying some tourism in Tuolumne Meadows.

Yosemite deserves 3 full days to explore, but with only an afternoon and a part of a morning, you'll have to decide where to spend your time. The Top Questions and the Trip Ideas in the upper right (full TA website not the mobile app) have ideas.

The lodging article has a few maps that might help as well.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Other places to stay are lee Vining, June lake or Mammoth lakes but Bishop has most lodging (and cheaper full for that matter....)

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

The Tuolumne Meadows area of Yosemite is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the park. I would allow time to get out and walk around a bit, even if you just take the short trail from the Lembert Dome parking lot to Soda Springs.

It is really shortchanging the area to simply drive through it on your way to somewhere else.

Then you have Tioga Pass and just north of Lee Vining is Mono Lake, another spectacular site. Then you have June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes with Devil's Postpile National Monument, and all the other lovely eastern Sierra sights.

I'd look at staying in Bishop, too.

As PNWF mentions, three full days (at least 2 nights) is always a better choice for Yosemite.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

When you made your plans,you really shortchanged this beautiful area... Yosemite NP....Glacier Point, Tuolumne Meadows and on and on....

Ahwahnee hotel located in the middle of Yosemite to Bishop 140 miles

Bishop to Visitors Center in DV 160 MILES

From there to Vegas 120 miles......total 425 miles to Vegas fro Ahwahnee Hotel

Have to add on 1 day in Death Valley or just outside in Beatty....Need min 4 nights...

2 nights min Yosemite

1 Bishop

1 Death Valley Adjust your trip and add on 1 day in this gorgeous area, you will certainly be glad you did when you see it... Death Valley a must too...have to definitely spend at least 1 night here

Edited: 27 January 2014, 19:08
LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

But the 160 miles from Ahwanee to Bishop is firstly about 40 miles with a speed limit of 35mph. You cannot gauge this as 160 miles of freeway driving .

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Back in October 2013 we did exactly the opposite that's recommended in this excellent and friendly forum (not because we are rebels, but we had our trip planned out that way): We spent only one night at Yosemite (Lodge at the Falls), and then drove to Las Vegas, the following morning.

If I had had 2 nights I would have probably stayed at the valley, and then drove all the way to Las Vegas.

We had the best of times, memories, pics taken and places visited: We took a bike ride, we went to tunnel view, explored lots of points of interest, and finally headed to Half Dome, where we waited for the stars, with a full moon. I would have loved to have a second day to explore even further.

The drive to Las Vegas took us 12 hours, with two kids (4 and 8 yo). We took Tioga Pass and made lots (I mean LOTS) of stops, because the views and places are breathtaking. Our girls took advantage of every patch of snow we came across. We also visited Death Valley, where we spent some time, and we also took tons of pics. Prior to that, we also stopped at Mammoth, and went straight to the Bakery. We also drove through June Lake Loop.

I'm only saying this, because you obviously have limited time. But everything I got told on this forum was true: You need more time at the Valley, than one night. Breaking down the trip form Yosemite to Las Vegas helps with touring Tioga Pass more comfortably. And once you get to spend a couple of days at Las Vegas you wish you had spent more time at Yosemite.

What I can say is that the drive was very nice. Initially we planned to switch drivers with my wife, but I didn't feel tired at all! We arrived at Las Vegas, and I didn't feel exhausted.

Hope you have the best of times.

This is off topic for this forum, but when you get to Las Vegas, make sure you visit Valley of Fire. We loved it!

Mx

Edited: 27 January 2014, 19:52
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

MX1977 ~ great report.

>>we went to tunnel view, explored lots of points of interest, and finally headed to Half Dome, where we waited for the stars, with a full moon.<<

But perhaps you drove to Glacier Point for views rather than traveling to Half Dome (18 mile hike.) Or maybe you headed out into a meadow where you had a view of Half Dome.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite to Las Vegas

Gorgeous scenic,slow 140 miles, with plenty of stops on the way.. This is when I would stop at Tuolumne Meadows on the way out.Never said it was freeway miles..just giving her distances...she/he has to do some figuring out (planning)

Tioga Pass certainly not a freeway....140 very slow and scenic miles......with various stops..

Edited: 27 January 2014, 20:03
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park