We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

Not sure if anyone on here would know, but I'm curious if there's a good reason I just haven't thought of why the Valley campgrounds don't just reserve you a non-site specific spot?

A lot of state campgrounds do it this way, when you reserve you're guaranteed a spot, but they choose the particular site either shortly before people arrive, or let you pick once you get there.

I understand why it's generally nice to lock in a favorite site, but since the Yosemite Valley summer reservations are a scramble anyway and people just want to get ANY spot they can, why bother to have people make site-specific requests?

As far as different equipment requirements you can just pool those spots, ie there are 60 tent sites, 30 small RV and 40 big RV spots, and you apply for those.

Seems crazy inefficient for everyone to scramble to choose random sites that they hope someone else hasn't chosen seconds before, and then try again and again...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

What? Are you saying that the government is ...inefficient? I'm shocked.... ;)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
172 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

:) I know, right?

It's still better than the first-ish come first-ish served debacle at Many Glacier CG in Glacier National Park, where people drive around at 6am lurking for an open spot, or try to make deals with people the night before. Oy.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

Since Tuolumne Meadows CG is not site-specific, it's easy to get a reservation at 7 am on the specified day. And yes, it would be easy on the folks making reservations if the same system applied to Yosemite Valley campgrounds. My guess is that there are enough people who want a particular campsite (near the river, near the bathroom, not near the bathroom, near the shuttle stop, etc) that Recreation.gov just keeps the Valley campground reservations the way they are.

On the Recreation.gov contact page, you could share your suggestion with them. http://www.recreation.gov/contact.do

=============

For any lurkers reading this thread --

Campsite Reservations in Yosemite tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c204703

Camping in Yosemite without Reservations tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c162983

Edited: 09 February 2014, 15:25
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,395 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

"....A lot of state campgrounds do it this way, when you reserve you're guaranteed a spot, but they choose the particular site either shortly before people arrive, or let you pick once you get there. "...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sadly, this isn't the case anymore in California. When you book a campsite, you have to choose your site at the time of booking. My sister, who loves to camp, hates it!

5. Re: Why not make campground reservation non-site specific?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:22