We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Narre Warren...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Fish Camp to Mono Lake

I have been researching routes to get from say Fish Camp (still not sure where to stay in Yosimite NP but figured Fish Camp would be fine) to Mono Lake I want to be heading directly west to go to Zion NP, all the routes I see though avoid a direct path west, they either head North east then West then South or go via Bakersfield way so South, West and then North. We will be traveling in July by car and I see on the map there are roads which are much more direct but non of the routes come up with the more direct route. Anyone know if there is a more direct route open?

Itinerary I want to follow is roughly:

San Fran

Yosimite

Zion

North Rim GC

Monument Valley

Vegas

driven in about 8 days. I know not a lot of time but is all I have.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,082 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

From Yosemite to Mono Lake, most direct path to take is drive through the park, leave via Tioga Pass (you will see views of Mono Lake from here during daylight hour) and end at Mono Lake. Tioga Pass is open in the winter time; Mono Lake is on highway 395.

http://www.monolake.org/visit/yosemite

Many enjoy Yosemite Valley as the best staying at either Ahwahnee, the Lodge, or Camp Curry.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,529 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

>>none of the routes come up with the more direct route<<

Some of the on-line mapping tools will not offer the summer route when you're looking now. You have to drag the route to the road you want and "force" the mapping tool to use your route.

Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/NPt2D

The Top Questions on the right side of this page has info about lodging, route planning, itinerary planning, and more.

If you want help with your overall multi-state itinerary, ask on the Road Trips forum. They're good at helping folks with trips like yours. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Narre Warren...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Thanks for this I figured that the route would be through the park.

Narre Warren...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Thank you - that was one thing I considered - didn't come to mind straight away as I am in Australia and 30 degrees c outside :-)

Appreciate your response. Will definitely have a look at the route forum.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Hi

I agree, those routes from Lee Vining to Zion work confusing. Tell you best route:

Drive south on 395 to the exit east on 120 along Mono lake to Benton. Then take us6 to Tonopah. From Tonopah take Extra Terrestrial hw 375 to Ash Springs. Then south on 93 to 168 east to I15. Drive north to St. George and ut 9 to Springdale. This route avoids driving in Las Vegas and no mountain passes on the way. Max speed in NV mostly 70mph There are NO fuelpumps between Tonopah and Ash Springs for 150 miles. Stop at Little A'le Inn in Rachel for a cuppa and say hello to the Aliens!

Tet

Narre Warren...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Thanks for the advice - don't see ET Hwy 375 on the map coming out of Tonopah only roads I see are 95 and 6.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Look further east. 375 is past the intersection of 95. Gas up in Tonopah! Check out the old Mizpah Hotel in Tonopah. Neat historic place.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

I've driven across Southern Nevada many times and prefer to take 93 north through Caliente to Panaca and then into Utah on 56 to I-15. This is a higher route so cooler and is more interesting than taking 93 south to I-15. You can also stop into the Kolob Canyons section of Zion on your way to Springdale.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

I agree that driving the route Sonapaoma gave you is more attractive from Ash Springs but it's also app 30 minutes longer. That said, the drive between Mesquite and St. George also is very scenic .

Edited: 07 March 2014, 08:22
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish Camp to Mono Lake

Tet - I've never timed the routes personally so can't attest to the difference but google maps shows just a 9 minute difference and that would be worth it imo.

If you want to spend the night enroute though, going through Mesquite is the best option. There are nice hotels there with very good rates during the week. And, if you golf, you would be in heaven.