We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight on John Muir Trail

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Overnight on John Muir Trail

My wife and I are traveling across the country this summer and I've always wanted to hike part of the John Muir Trail. Because of our time constraints, we'll only have time to do a one-night backpack. Can anyone advise me of either a one-night loop that would incorporate the JMT or a good section for a one-night out and back?

Doesn't have to be in Yosemite, in fact, I've already checked and most of the trailheads in Yosemite that incorporate the JMT are already booked for our dates. Any ideas further south in the national forests or Kings Canyon/Sequoia?

This is another question entirely, but is there any point in calling the Yosemite wilderness office periodically to check on trailhead spots that might have come open? I don't want to continually pay to fax the request only to be denied.

Thanks for any help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

Check the trailhead info periodically rather than faxing.

There are lots of First Come First Served permits available for each trailhead (I think it's 40% of the total.) For example, Lyell Canyon has 14 permits of the 35 available every day.

Ask on these forums for other JMT ideas or for a Yosemite hike that incorporates the JMT.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/index.php

www.highsierratopix.com/community/index.php

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

Yes getting the permits (within Yosemite) will be a challenge, JMT trailheads are all popular. But it's still possible, you might have a better chance of getting a permit starting at Glacier Point. Take the Panorama Trail down to the top of Nevada Fall where you pick up the JMT. From there you could head north and where you camp depends on your permit -- some will be for camping in Little Yosemite Valley and some will be for passing thru LYV and camping elsewhere. If you get the permit to camp at LYV then you could just stay there and then hike down the Mist Trail or the JMT to the Valley the next day. That would be only about 5-6 miles per day. If you do not camp in LYV then you can continue north on the JMT and at Sunrise High Sierra Camp you have a choice, to turn left to go through the Sunrise Lakes or to continue straight up through Long Meadow and the Cathedral Pass. The mileage is about the same, more elevation gain and loss on the JMT but better views IMO. This would be closer to 15 miles a day I believe. Or, if you have the pass-thru permit you can go up the JMT, the next day continue north until you feel it's time to turn around and then come back thru LYV to the Mist or continue JMT down to the Valley.

I'm not very familiar with options outside of Yosemite, except that the last half of the JMT to Whitney Portal has no road access, so you could head that way but would be doubling back on day 2.

To my knowledge it's not worth continually contacting the rangers office -- a certain percentage of the permits are granted beforehand and the remainder are reserved for walk-up, I don't think they get a lot of openings on the advance reservations that they re-open, I think those just go back in to the walk-up pool.

Walk-up on day of (or day before) is of course an option, but I understand if you don't want to rely on that. But you could, as long as you are open to ending up with a less popular but still amazing hike from a different trailhead --something will be open, just not necessarily on the JMT.

Have fun.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

Thanks both of you for your responses. I would love to be able to that JR, but it looks like the Glacier Point trailhead is full. We're going to be driving in from San Francisco the day before we start out on our hike, so I think our chances of getting a walk-up permit would be slim considering we wouldn't be able to be there in the morning when people are lining up.

It looks like there may be some JMT options down in Kings Canyon/Sequoia. I suppose I'll have to decide what the better option is -- heading further south or staying in Yosemite and doing something non-JMT.

PacificNWFamily, thanks for the links. I had been looking for message boards just like those but hadn't been able to find them. Appreciate that.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

You can access the JMT from the Devil's Postpile near Mammoth Lakes. There are several options there for an overnight backpack.

http://www.hikejmt.com/ansel/anselframes.htm

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

Thanks both of you for your responses. I would love to be able to that JR, but it looks like the Glacier Point trailhead is full. We're going to be driving in from San Francisco the day before we start out on our hike, so I think our chances of getting a walk-up permit would be slim considering we wouldn't be able to be there in the morning when people are lining up.

It looks like there may be some JMT options down in Kings Canyon/Sequoia. I suppose I'll have to decide what the better option is -- heading further south or staying in Yosemite and doing something non-JMT.

PacificNWFamily, thanks for the links. I had been looking for message boards just like those but hadn't been able to find them. Appreciate that.

6. Re: Overnight on John Muir Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 06:15