We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Google tells me the drive from San Francisco to Yosemite Village is 3:50 drive .... is that fairly close? It would be on a Sunday just after lunch in November so I'm guessing not a peak time. If it is fairly correct we would be able to book accommodation in the park itself and get an early start the next day as opposed to staying somewhere further out ... we don't want to be driving too much after dark. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

approx 4 hours is correct. Did you check the top questions? Accommodation gets booked up to a year in advance but there are options available if you look but you cannot linger and during the peak summer season, you may have to stay out -- but PNWF the great DE can help

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Actually we may stay at El Portal ... as much as I would love to stay right in the middle of the park the hotels are expensive ... we will be getting there at sun-set and leaving early in the morning so paying a premium is probably not good value. There are accommodations still available though, so not too late yet if we decide to spend the extra.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 23:10
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

So...what do you hope to see in the park? A sunset? If not, waking up in the park the next morning is one of the world's most outstanding values (and the reason people pay to stay there). Is the plan to drive back and forth to El Portal twice instead of actually spending that time in the park? You can't count on Tioga Pass being open in November (although it could be).

I'd spend the extra in a heartbeat.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

We are driving there on a Sunday afternoon, it will be dark around 5 so just book into accommodation and have a relaxed night (hopefully) ... get up early, breakfast and spend the day in the valley seeing what we can before around 4 when we will head off to Las Vegas ... preferably spending a night in Mammoth Lakes but Bakersfield if the pass is closed. And I really hope it isn't. So in my opinion waking up in the valley itself is not worth an extra $200, maybe to some, but not to me. We will be in the USA for just over 3 weeks, accommodation costs have to be prioritised and the Grand Canyon won over Yosemite.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

>>So in my opinion waking up in the valley itself is not worth an extra $200, maybe to some, but not to me. <<

For a random day in November, Yosemite Lodge at the Falls in Yosemite Valley is $128 + tax. Yosemite View Lodge's cheapest room is $110 + tax.

It's always wise for travelers to book lodgings that are best for their budget, itinerary, and travel plans. But I can't figure out what you're comparing. If it's The Ahwahnee Hotel ($417 + tax), then compare it to a Majestic Suite at the Yosemite View Lodge ($399 + tax.)

==========

Here is a link to the Yosemite Guide newspaper: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm Check to see what kinds of programs were offered in the evenings last year in November on the same day of the week you'll be in Yosemite. This will give you an idea of what might be happening.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Yosemite Lodge Nov9th ... $200 or $229 with b/fast. Would the fact it's veterans day on the 11th make a difference? And for the Awahee I come up with $471 p/n.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,769 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Wow. It's much more expensive than my random dates of Thurs Nov 6 or Tues Nov 18. It's $152 on Sat Nov 15. Rates sure vary, and I'm sure the holiday weekend is the reason it's more expensive.

At least Yosemite View Lodge is still $110 on the 9th.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Can I ask another unrelated question please?

Can you pull over anywhere (space permitting) for photos etc? Do you have to use marked stopping bays?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

Depends on where you are. But yes generally it's best to pull out when it's safe. There are lots of pull outs.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF to Yosemite Village ... 4 hours drive?

I think I haven't explained properly ... I mean can I stop at the roadside if there is room to do so? Or do I need to find a designated or signed parking area/zone/space?