We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

we're looking to rent a cabin in the woods somewhere around san francisco with water warm enough to swim in comfortably, The Evergreen Lodge near Yosemite seems like the thing, but its a bit steep for us (especially considering the restaurant prices). Anyone have any other ideas?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

When is your trip? It's a long way from San Francisco to Yosemite just to find someplace to swim. There are Bay Area lakes you can swim in during the summer. And there's the Russian River in Sonoma County.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

The Yosemite trip is planned for August, and yeah, it IS a long way, but the idea is to be in the woods and swimming is only a part. To satisfy the "in the woods" need and give up on swimming we're also thinking about either Point Reyes or Big Basin state park, both apparently pretty close to San Francisco.

I'm moving to San Francisco from northern New York, which seems to have much more in the way of swimmable lakes, so I'd also appreciate any wisdom you have on warm water around San Francisco.

Thanks.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

NOT warm water, however, in either place. No lake near Big Basin.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 22:59
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,802 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

Hi,

Don't try to compare California with upstate NY and its lakes!!

I spent every summer at one in the Adirondacks and have spent lots of time here in California trying to find the equivalent!!

I don't think you'll find warm water in any of them!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

too bad ! I'll have to be content with the easier weather ! :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,341 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

In August, the rivers & lakes in Yosemite will be warm enough for swimming. You can swim in the Merced River in Yosemite Valley, in Tenaya Lake along Tioga Road (but no place to stay adjacent to the lake), or in the South Fork of the Merced River in Wawona.

Lodging options in Yosemite Valley and in Wawona are in the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

If you want more ideas for swimming in the California foothills, I recommend reposting on the state forum. If you want ideas of places to swim in the San Francisco Bay Area, post on the SF forum or maybe the general California forum.

Good luck!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,901 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

Not exactly cabin in the woods, but we have a lot of reservoirs warm enough for swimming. We have rented a house in Copperopolis next to the Tullah reservoir that was perfect for swimming and boating. Lake Tahoe is too cold but Donner Lake is a litte warmer. Definitley more cabin in the woods around Donner Lake. Lots of house rentals on vrbo. O think there is still a budget motel on the lakee. Stayed there a few times when I was a starving student. How about houseboats? What is your budget per night?

We went to Clear Lake a lot for water skiing growing up. But I hear it's gone downhill since. Perhaps folks who have been more recently can attest.

Swimming in the Merced River in Yosemite Valley in August is actually very refreshing. We do it while camping in lieu of showing in the sometimes yucky bathhouses at Curry and Housekeeping Camp.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 23:28
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

Once jumped off a sailboat into San Francisco Bay on the 4th of July. Lasted about 30 seconds. No swimming in Ocean or Bay for anybody sane. East & North Bay have lots of places to swim lakes & rivers. Going South I would not swim in the ocean North of Santa Cruz.

Nice man made beach/lake for swimming at Don Castro Park, Hayward. Also a fishing lake & hiking trail. picnic etc.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

Tahoe is what you are looking for. It's the largest alpine lake in the West and has plenty of trees. The lake in August might be too cold for some but thousands swim in it every day. There are beautiful sandy beaches and mountain vistas. It's Northern California's most popular vacation destination in the summer.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: warm water swimming around yosemite or san francisco ?

For a nice respite close to SF that would also afford some good wine tasting, check out the Russian River area, starting at Healdsburg. There are only a few areas deep enough for actually swimming in August (there is a dam in Healdsburg to create a swimming area) but the river is great for wading and kayaking. Lots of vacation rentals in that area.