We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Road Trip

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sussex, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
California Road Trip

Hi, I will be travelling from San Francisco to stay in the Wawona Hotel in Yosemite in late April 2014. Only staying for one night unfortunately then heading to Las Vegas but I plan to make another overnight stop between Yosemite and Vegas. A few questions :

1/ What sights should we try to see in and around the Wawona Hotel ?

2/ Should we use the car or try and take shuttle buses ?

3/ I was intending to stay in Bishop but I am now assuming that the Tioga Pass will not be open so was wondering what other town would be a good place to overnight before continuing on to Vegas?

4/ What would be the best route to take and would it have any scenery at all ?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Road Trip

Hi

With just an afternoon for Yosemite Valley, spend as much time as you can there. Read the One Day Itineraries in the Trip Ideas on the right. Park in the Visitor Lot and get out. Shuttle, walk, bike, whatever. At the end of the day, drive out of the Valley and stop first at Bridalveil Fall (short walk) and then again at Tunnel View. Then drive about 45 minutes to the Wawona Hotel.

I don't think you'll have time for tourism in Wawona.

Early the next morning, drive ten minutes to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. Walk up to the Grizzly Giant (1.1 miles) or just wander around the parking lot area. Look for bright red snowplant.

Then head out. I don't know how far you'll get this day.... Lake Isabella? Ridgecrest? Panamint Springs? Then visit Death Valley. (Check the DVNP forum for tourism ideas in this National Park.)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,688 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Road Trip

"...4/ What would be the best route to take and would it have any scenery at all ?"...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You have a couple of options. Basically, you'll need to exit Yosemite via the south entrance or Highway 41 toward Fresno where you'll connect with Highway 99 south to Bakersfield. You can either take the Highway 178/58 off-ramp, make a left turn and drive through town (Literally) until you reach open space and enter Kern Canyon to Lake Isabella or continue to Ridgecrest or continue south to the Highway 58 exit toward Tehachapi into Mojave (Yes, there are two sections of Highway 58. The exit linked with Highway 58 goes in the opposite direction).

The Kern Canyon drive is narrow with steep, sheer cliffs hugging the inside lane with the Kern River flowing on the opposite side. It's only a 2 lane road for much of the drive.

The drive through Tehachapi is on faster multi lane highway. Tehachapi is a pretty mountain town. Sometimes you'll get treated to sail planes flying in the skies above town. They get some pretty good thermals up there.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Road Trip

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Great information. Have been to the States several times but never on the West coast. California here we come !

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Road Trip

Great advice and much appreciated. Really looking forward to our visit to your part of the world.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Road Trip

Oh..1 other question, which kibbles09 looks to be the person for : earlier in the trip I will be driving LA to San Francisco and staying overnight in Cambria. I would like to take the most scenic route. Any advice ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Road Trip

Hi LittleBigHorn

Yes, Kibbles09 knows lots about the coastal drive. But this is the Yosemite forum so we try to keep the topics focused on Yosemite.

Go to the California state forum. Definitely read the Top Questions on that forum page as there are several articles (some authored by Kibbles09!) about the lovely Hwy 1 drive. Ask your questions, posting on the state forum. There will be a few folks who know and love the coast who will reply. (Most of them won't think to read this Yosemite thread so you'd miss their replies if you "stay" here.)

Happy Travels.

California: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Road Trip

On the way from Yosemite to Las vegas maybe consider to drive through Death Valley NP also. Best place to stay on the way then is Ridgecrest.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Road Trip

Thanks to all for your ideas and information...I'm off to take a look at the California State Forum.

9. Re: California Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16