We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st. louis
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

Hello! I'm getting married this September in Yosemite. I've been having a difficult time finding a photographer who is available for under $1500! We're really just interested in digital rights to our photos and that is it. It'd take 2 hours max. We know the scenery there is so amazing that it'd be hard to mess up pictures. We'd like some one who knows light, angles and has editing skills. Any suggestions to some one in the area? Anything would help. Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

I don't know, but maybe a photography instructor who works for Y-Explore or Yosemite Conservancy has an idea. (I was lucky. When I got married in Yosemite, my maid of honor's husband was an avid amateur photographer.)

Another idea is to search for some current Google Images or Picasa and find photos of wedding couples. Contact them to see who they used.

Best wishes for a lovely wedding.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

"We know the scenery there is so amazing that it'd be hard to mess up pictures."

I have to say that is really not true. I have several friends and co-workers who are photographers (both professional and semi-pro) - if you don't know what you're doing you can mess up anything. That's why knowing lighting, camera angles, etc comes in. (And that's why my Yosemite photos don't look anything like Ansel Adams'.) Expertise and experience count for a *lot*. Added to that, someone would have to travel out to Yosemite and back.

(Sorry, I don't have anyone to recommend up there. Just wanted to shed some light on pricing.)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

Since the Ahwanee has much experience with weddings of all sizes, I wonder if it would be worth contacting the GM there for advice on photographers who do simple weddings, relatively inexpensively. Our niece had a small wedding in the "little brown chapel" with a reasonable photographer, but it was some years ago and I have no memory of who it was. Good luck.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

The ahwannee? $1500 will barely get you out of the bar. And while it's somewhat true that you cant mess up a picture of the scenery, people often get distracted by that scenery and forget to focus on the people in the picture (literally). Anyways, I sent you a message with a recommendation.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

I was only suggesting that they ASK the Ahwahnee for recommendations for reasonably priced photographers, not they they HIRE one from there

Sheesh

Their public relations department should be more than willing to do that for a possible FUTURE guest.

But I am glad you have a recommendation for OP.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

Sorry, I'm just making a joke at the expense of the NPS. However, based on what I know about the wedding industry, you will get drastically different prices depending on how you got referred. Not that anyone would consider telling a photographer "I got your name from the ahwahnee..."

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

ssick - how have you been searching for photographer? Do you have any local contacts? You may consider putting on a Craigslist ad to see if there are any amateur or semi-pro in the area who may be interested. Already established pros usually have a set minimal and $1500 seems pretty low already for a pro.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

I wonder where anybody would find a "semi-pro" in Yosemite. If in neighboring cities, then there would be a "commuting fee".

Only half joking I would suggest, ssick1 that you consider inviting a very good amateur photographer to your wedding. BTW, what is the wedding venue?

Good Luck.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

You might be surprised who is interested puter. There are people who are looking to buff up their portfolio and may do things for the experience rather than get paid financially. When we lived in SoCal, my hubby traded work on Model Mayhem. It was a hobby but some folks did barter/trade to build portfolio.

But I agree with your general thought about inviting someone with a very good digital SLR.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need an affordable photographer for my wedding!

Well, I hope thatt someone who is trying to build up their portfolio comes along to offer to take pictures of ssick1's wedding in Yosemite at a resonable price.