We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga Road Opening

9 posts
Save Topic
Tioga Road Opening

Hello All,

I just read that plowing has reached porcupine flats, where is that on tioga road? We are coming in a few days any possibility they might finish and open before next weekend?

Any guesses or possibility would be appreciated!

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga Road Opening

The Tioga Pass Road will not likely be open before the end of April. Hopefully, it will open sometime in May. It will probably be open before Memorial Day weekend starts. Looks like no one at the park is giving a guesstimate yet, not now anyway.

I just now reviewed the Yosemite National Park web site. It says snow plowing began today -- April 16 -- and they reached Porcupine Flat (as you posted). Looks as if they had planned to start April 15.

If you go on the park's web site and view the Park Map -- http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm -- click the button on the left down towards the bottom on the page that says View Park Map, you will see just where Porcupine Flat is located.

To put into perspective, there is still a lot of road to plow, then stabilize the potential 26 avalanche zones, then repair the roadway & signage that might have gotten damaged over the winter, etc.

Keeping checking road conditions inside Yosemite National Park by calling:

209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1).

Edited: 18 April 2014, 01:50
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,278 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga Road Opening

Here is a basic/simple map that shows where Porcupine Flat is located: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Any "lurkers" who want to read the Park updates should use this website: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm or the Park Facebook page: www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS There is a photo of a snowplow and a bit more detail on the Facebook page now. "While road crews reached Porcupine Flat on their first day plowing yesterday, there is no estimated opening date for the Tioga Road. (Porcupine Flat is about halfway between Crane Flat and Tioga Pass.)"

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga Road Opening

The Chronicle last weekend reported that Sonora Pass was expected to open by April 26. Tioga often opens a week or ten days later. Of course, with weather coming in next week, this is all conjecture.

…sfgate.com/stienstra/…

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga Road Opening

Tioga pass will certainly open very early this year. There is simply not much snow to plow. From the east side of Hwy 120 (Tioga Pass) you can already drive to the entrance gate at Tioga Pass. Sonora Pass (hwy 108) is reported to open tomorrow. It is at the almost same elevation.

I try to watch the openings as I try to drive the passes when they open. I have done this for years.

I would not be surpised if it opens before the end of the month. However, don't count on it. Stay tuned.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioga Road Opening

Someone mentioned in a post above, that Porcupine Flat is approximately the half-way point between Crane Flat and the Tioga Pass.

While this is true, I don't think this means that the snow plowing WORK is half done. The poster didn't say the work was half done, but I can understand how it could leave some readers thinking that the work is half completed since the plowers have reached the half-way point ON THE MAP.

So, to clarify --

o the road gets into higher and higher elevations from Porcupine Flat eastward and, as such, the snow plowing moves into deeper snow. True, the snow is not as deep as it was in previous years when there was a lot of snow fall.

o this year, if it took 2 days to reach the half-way point ON THE MAP, another two days will not complete the snow plowing all the way to the Tioga Pass.

But it won't be long before the Tioga Pass is open! Whee!

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioga Road Opening

The section to Porcupine Flat is the easy part of the plowing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioga Road Opening

We are driving from Vegas on May 7.... Fingers crossed!

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
581 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioga Road Opening

This is in the latest press release from the Bishop office of CalTrans:

BISHOP – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is proud to announce that the snow has been cleared and maintenance performed to enable the following passes to reopen from their winter closures:

State Route 120 (west) Mono County – Tioga Pass Road, to the East Yosemite Park Entrance Gate. State Route 120 is closed beyond this point. Users can access State Route 120 for recreational activities from the junction of US 395 at Lee Vining up to the park entrance closure gate.

State Route 168 (west) Inyo County – Access to Sabrina Lake.

State Route 270 Bodie Road – Mono County – Access to Bodie State Historic Park.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioga Road Opening

There's a bit of a weather change coming through over the next week. It doesn't seem like it will dump a ton of snow (sadly for California's water situation) but it might slow some of the Tioga plowing work down. Will have to wait and see.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,278 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tioga Road Opening

marmot ~ thanks for the update. Did you hear anything from visitors who were able to cycle on Tioga Road this past weekend?