We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Just in case anyone is looking at this forum and traveling today, Tioga Road is temporarily closed. There's a winter weather advisory in effect 6,000 feet and above which means snow/ice. And it is not a fun road to be on in snow/ice. We have a little storm rolling through at the moment.

The park's road conditions number is 209-372-0200. Dial 1 and then 1 again to get the most up to date road conditions. It's going to warm up quickly over the next few days, but it's difficult to predict when it will reopen again.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,560 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Thanks for the update!

LA
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

And this is what happens when you try to open Tioga Road before Memorial Day.......

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Actually...it's been known to happen if even when Tioga open after Memorial Day too. I have a lovely memory of being on a bike in very very cold rain in Yosemite Valley on a Memorial Day weekend, when the pass closed for about a week as a result.

Up side of things for people hoping to use the pass, high of 80 in the Valley by Wed. This closure won't last too long.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

I see that they closed Sonora Pass (hwy 108) also due to snow. This storm is moving out fast and I am sure the closure will not be long. After some cold rain here, the sun is now coming out.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Is it correct that tioga pass is now open? A link I was reading had me confused?

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

VLH in Australia,

I just now called the *road conditions* phone for inside Yosemite National Park (24 minutes after you posted). All roads within YNP are open with no restrictions.

Copper JackRabbit

P.S. Yes, things will be warming up greatly in the next week! Bring lots of sun screen if visiting Yosemite!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Thankyou for your quick reply. Left vegas this morning disappointed heading south. Just passed Barstow heading toward Bakersfield, so will turn north at 395

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

Well we got to the lodge by 8pm, after a few decent stops along the way. Oh my... The tioga pass was amazing, so well worth it. So happy it opened just in time and still plenty of snow for the kids to play in

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

So glad the Tioga Pass route worked out for you! Yep, it has some beautiful scenery! Enjoy your time in Yosemite!

Copper JackRabbit

10. Re: May 6 2014 temporary Tioga Road Closure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17