We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

My husband and I will be at arriving at Yosemite the afternoon of Friday May 16th. We will be flying in from Chicago and then driving over from SF. We will then be at the park all day Sat the 17th and then the morning of the 18th before we make our way for Sonoma and some wine! Anyway we are planning on doing a major hike on Saturday. We are hoping to do the 4 mile trail up and then the Panorama/Mist trail down. This would make for a full day so that pretty much takes care of Saturday. The question is Friday afternoon and Sunday morning what to do/see? We are staying in Mariposa for the duration of our stay. We would like to see the Mariposa Grove at the south end of the park would that be a good Sunday morning activity before we drive to Sonoma? I figure our legs will be tired from Saturdays hike so this would be a less strenuous one that we could do in the morning. As for Friday we will probably get to the park around 3 PM or so. My husband really likes the look of the Gaylor Lakes trail but it is towards the east end of Yosemite. Would that be too much driving to go from SF to the Gaylor Lakes trailhead on Friday? Also Friday or Saturday we would love to catch a sunset! Sounds like Glacial Point is a great spot for that. Any other favorite spots for a sunset? Any favorite shorter hikes for Fri or Sunday that we should check out. We couldn't be anymore excited about our upcoming Yosemite adventure and any advice you could give us would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

Gaylor Lakes will probably still have snow and lots of muddy conditions next week.

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

I heard they only had 20-30% of the snow pack this year as opposed to average. I assume in Mid May the high country might still have snow so you make a good point. Has anyone been up there in the last week or two?

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

I just think Gaylor Lakes is too long a drive for the early season conditions. Later in the summer would be better, but as you won't be able to do the full trip, I would chose an alternate at lower elevation.

Gaylor Lakes starts at 9500 ft elevation.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 21:30
LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

If you are staying in Mariposa, the Gaylor Lakes trailhead will be a 3 hour drive, as you will be obeying the park speed limits, of course.

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

Ok thanks ya I was concerned about the driving distance and the elevation so we are probably better off exploring the valley on Friday afternoon and maybe catching the sunset and then doing our major hike Saturday.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

The Yosemite facebook page has Tuolumne Meadows photos posted May 4th & May 5th. www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS Still lots of snow.

Mariposa is about 65-75 minutes to the Four Mile Trail trailhead.

If you choose to visit Mariposa Grove on Sunday, drive via Oakhurst as that route is faster. Try to get there early enough that you can fit in the small parking lot. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d592681

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

Thanks for the snow update and the parking advice :)

8. Re: Yosemite for an afternoon, FULL DAY, and morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 07:16