We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga pass road

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tioga pass road

Which is the better way to drive the Tioga pass road East to West heading into Yosemite? or heading out West to East?

We are just planning a tour of California for late September and have flexibility but as it will be a one off trip we would like to do it the better way around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga pass road

Kind of depends on where you fly in to. But if you don't have a flight yet I'd choose LAX then up 395. To the east side of Tioga. A longer but very much more scenic drive than from SFO.

2. Re: Tioga pass road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 02:17
Edited: 11 May 2014, 02:17
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga pass road

Thanks for the response, though we land in LA it does not really matter as we are driving the coast road north and then head over to Yosemite / lakeTahoe area, we can do either first, but would mean the Tioga pass way would be either E/W or W/E, just need to know which direction is the better.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga pass road

Either way is spectacular. Which is best for you depends on where else you are going. As Bayatuning said, the drive along Hwy 395 from Mono Lake to Lone Pine is one of the most scenic in California. That would be my choice for returning to LAX rather than going through the Central Valley.

If you are not flying out of LAX but some other airport, then maybe going to Lake Tahoe first and then driving down 395 to Lee Vining and then over Tioga Pass through Yosemite on your way back to SFO might make the most sense although you could easily do it the other way as well. Will you be spending any time in Yosemite Valley? Are you interested in visiting Mono Lake, Mammoth Lakes or Bodie?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioga pass road

I like East to West way better. Really impressive views of Mount Hoffmann and especially Clouds Rest which don't seem nearly as good the other way.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,365 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioga pass road

I think either direction can work just fine. You can drive it in both directions if you're coming from Tahoe and heading to Las Vegas next. (I guess I don't understand your draft itinerary. SF to Tahoe to Yosemite to ?)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioga pass road

Thanks for all the responses guys, we are just planning our itinerary at present, and as there is only the one road through Yosemite we were just wondering if any one direction was better than the other, then from your responses we could expand our itinerary to suit, which will include Yosemite but may or may not include Tahoe. Thanks again.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioga pass road

East to west you are on the mountain side, not the drop-off side. A factor for even slightly nervous drivers! The 395 is also much more scenic than the 5/99.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioga pass road

Thanks for all the reply's looks like East to West has it, especially for my good lady wife near the mountain edge.

10. Re: Tioga pass road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17