We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leics
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Ok, so planning a trip for beg September 2015 (i know its well in advance but i figured there is so much to research, that it cant hurt to start early!!)... We will be driving SF to Yosemite and only have 2 nights to play with unfortunately. (FYI:trying to avoid being in Yosemite for the weekend and after labour day)

Below is the itinerary ive 'loosely' put together, as there is so much id like to cram in, but im a bit unsure of distances/how long it will take to walk/drive places and how long for hiking. Im probably being waaay too optimistic, so im hoping that i can get some help on what i should maybe leave out, or re-order it etc....

DAY 1:

-We will be getting an early start and driving from SF to Yosemite. (hoping to get advanced reservations at somewhere like Yosemite View Lodge)

-Bridalveil falls (parking at El Capitan Vista area and doing the slightly longer walk to Bridalveil)

-4 mile trail to Glacier Point (hike up and maybe get shuttle bus down-in order to be able to cram more in-but know that buses dont run that regularly and thinking we would have to be pretty spot on for timings?)

-Drive for parking at Yosemite Valley area, to do Mist Trail to Vernal Falls & Nevada Falls

-Mirror Lake (this can be missed out if needed)

-Drive back to lodgings via Artists Point Trail and take in Tunnel View-(hoping, for sunset but could do first thing in morning instead, if we miss for this day)

DAY 2:

-Tunnel View for sunrise (if missed for sunset yesterday)

-Drive via Tioga Pass to do Clouds Rest hike.

-Time for anything else?????

Does all this sound do-able? Or am i being completely insane?! lol

Any 'tweaks' appreciated :)

Thanks.

1. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 15:15
LA
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Cloud's Rest is an ambitious day hike. 12 or 14 miles all above 8,000 ft. with the highest point just under 10,000 ft.

You need to be prepared for all weather conditions, including altitude problems, thunder/lightning and hiking back down in the dark.

Day 1 sounds busy enough and I don't know if you will be too fatigued from it to do this on Day 2.

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/clouds-rest

You are also probably better off staying inside the park at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, rather than Yosemite View Lodge.

www.yosemitepark.com/yosemite-lodge.aspx

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

I think you have too many ideas and not enough time.

If you want to do high elevation hikes, staying at 2,000' down in El Portal doesn't make sense to me. Stay at least in the Valley at 4,000'.

Specifics -

Assuming you leave SF at 6 am, you might reach Bridalveil Fall by 9:45 or 10 am. (Bring your water & picnic foods w/ you from SF.) Just park at Bridalveil Fall. You don't have much time.

Four Mile Trail is closer to 5 miles and over 3,000' elevation gain. Is this appropriate for your fitness level & ability to hike at elevation? If you start at 10:30 or 11:00 am and you're fit, you get up to Glacier Point between 1 and 2:00 pm. Take in the views. The bus you want to take isn't a shuttle; it's a fee tour bus. It's possible that someone else would have paid to just ride up so they could hike down the Panorama Trail, but hikers usually choose an earlier bus. If there is no space for you on this fee bus, do you try to hitch a ride with a visitor at Glacier Point? Walk back down the Four Mile Trail? Go down the Panorama Trail?

If you got a bus, maybe it's 4:00 when you get back to the Valley.

Shuttle over to Happy Isles and begin the Mist Trail. It's seven miles round-trip, but I'll again assume you're fitness enthusiasts and you've trained for this. I'll guess 3.5 hours round trip (most folks take 4 or 5, I think) to allow some time for photos of the slim ribbons of waterfalls. Begin at 4:30 and get back to Happy Isles at 8:00. Sunset is around 7:15, so bring flashlights & headlamps.

Mirror "Lake" is only a wide spot on Tenaya Creek in the spring. It is not a lake in September.

It's dark.

The Valley Shuttle runs till 10 pm. Ride from Happy Isles to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Walk the trail (with flashlight) across Sentinel Bridge over to your car parked at the trailhead for Four Mile Trail. Maybe it's 9:00 or 9:30 pm.

Drive 25 minutes to El Portal.

Notice that there wasn't any time to buy food. Hopefully you brought food with you.

And there wasn't time to get up to Tunnel View, nor to hike Artist Point Trail (near Inspiration Point.)

Day 2

You want to drive Tioga Road. If you go as far as Tioga Pass, you will have missed the trailhead to Cloud's Rest. Again, I'm assuming incredible fitness for this challenging hike. Ten Essentials are absolutely essential as you might not see others on this route (water treatment, extra water, emergency gear, etc.)

=============

Realistically? If you want a challenging day after you arrive in Yosemite Valley, hike up Four Mile and down Panorama. But you'd have to be incredibly fit. It's not something that most folks would recommend after a 4 hr drive from low elevation San Francisco and a limited number of daylight hours. If this combo of hikes is essential to you (on your personal "must do" list), then leave SF the night before and stay someplace closer to Yosemite Valley.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

I am sorry but the logistics of trying the 4 mile trail the first day will be hard as there are no regular shuttle buses that go from Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley. There are the hikers tour buses that you need to pay for but only run very limited schedules www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx

Because of alritude sickness, i do not recommend starting at sea level in the morning and doing a strenuous uphill hike (all 4 mikes uphill 3,200 feet) in high elevation unless you are very fit and well conditioned. …usatoday.com/prepare-elevation-yosemite-102…

My recommedation would be to do Bridalveil, take your time and also stop at Tynnwl View adjusting to the elevation as you arrive tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c2636/Yosemite…

Then take the hikers/tour bus to GP and walk down the Panorama Trail. This way you will be sure not to miss the bus. Plus you essentially merge with the Mist Trail on the way down.

The Panorama Teail is long so will take up pretty much the whole afternoon. But going down hopefully will be less streneous but just as amazing as your original plan of doing the Mist and 4-mile trail in one day. yosemitehikes.com/glacier-point-road/panoram…

Leics
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Thanks very much for your responses. Some much better solutions, thats helped me out a great deal.

I thought i may have been being a bit too adventurous(!) ....I just wish there was more hours in a day!

My partner and I are fit and active quite a lot so hopefully these hikes will be ok for us, however, i didnt even take into consideration the altitude! Thanks for those links, they make for good reading and very useful info.

I think Clouds Rest will probably be more than enough for the one day, and yes i did mean to say Tioga road, not pass....(too many namings for me to get to grips with!)

We will maybe stay at lodgings somewhere around the Clouds Rest area after, as we will be heading along the Tioga Pass road, as we continue through Death Valley the next day.

Thanks kindly for your help guys, you dont understand how much this really is helping me out :)

LA
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

The only "lodgings" near the Cloud's Rest area are White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows tented camps. These require reservations, and close in mid-September. It is usually freezing at night at those elevations by mid-September.

This year those accommodations are $124 a night + tax. These are tented cabins with camp beds, a wood stove, no electricity, and a common shower/toilet facility. Meals are available at the dining room, for an additional fee.

Other than that, it's the campgrounds.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 18:39
lancashire
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Hi ... I'm like you and planned my trip way in advance ..in fact I'm planning my may 2016 trip :-) ..... I thought that the 4mile trail then down the panorama trail was stunning and the variety of views was varied, it,s all day as in 8_6 but thats with lots of photo stops, tiring but worth it ( I hike a lot) ...I'd say do that on your 2nd day... If you get there by 11 on your first day I would do bride veil and mirror or go half way up Yosemite falls. I guess it depends on how much being out of the car you want. We did it without. Hope this helps and happy planning

Leics
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Hi again guys, after a little bit more of a revised plan...im hoping this sounds a bit more of a 'relaxed' look around Yosemite? Does this sound better to you?

DAY 1

-Drive SF to Yosemite (early start drive)

-Mariposa Grove

-Sentinal loop trail

-Drive to Glacier Point for sunset

DAY 2

-Artists point trail

-Bridalveil trail

-The Mist trail

-Happy Isles (if time)

DAY 3

Drive through to Death Valley via Tuolumne Meadows.

Edited: Does this capture a variety of what the park has to offer? and im not seeing too much of the same thing am i? ....many thanks x

Edited: 21 July 2014, 23:43
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

Much better

DAY 1

-Drive SF to Yosemite (early start drive)

--> 4 hour drive. Go to the South Entrance

-Mariposa Grove

--> Might need to park outside the Grove. Walk. Bring a picnic lunch with you.

-Sentinel loop trail

--> I think you mean the Taft Point - Pohono Trail - Sentinel Dome loop. It's just under 5 miles and a good option.

-Drive to Glacier Point for sunset

--> This is about 1.5 miles from the Sentinel Dome trailhead. Check www.SunriseSunset.com for sunset time.

DAY 2

-Artists point trail

--> I haven't done this one!

-Bridalveil trail

--> This is short, short, short. It's a trail, but it's paved and maybe 1/4 mile.

-The Mist trail

--> Vernal Fall & Nevada Fall will be low in September, but this is a classic trail.

-Happy Isles (if time)

--> This is actually the trailhead for The Mist Trail.

DAY 3

Drive through to Death Valley via Tuolumne Meadows.

--> Tuolumne Meadows is a hiker's paradise!

--> Ideas tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite 2 day intinerary help!

We are in the process of planning our trip for September 2015, so I wouldn't say you have started early! :)

We have pushed our trip back a week so we miss labour day completely. You have asked a lot of the questions I was planning to ask.

We will be travelling from Big Sur and planning on staying at Yosemite Lodge at the falls. We will be there for 2 nights. Hoping to do something very similar to your trip. Good luck planning :)