We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hodgdon Campground

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hodgdon Campground

I didn't realise how quickly the camp sites would sell out so this is the only one I was able to book. Just after some advice now. I'll be arriving from Vegas via The Little A'Le'Inn and staying for two nights. I'm not sure what to do about food. If I was to get a disposable barbeque to use the first night, where could I buy food from? It probably wont keep very well in the car for the whole day so I know I can't buy it before setting off. Where is the best place to take a detour before the camp site to get some food? And then the next day we'll be heading to the village to spend the day there and do some small hikes, I'd assume there are plenty of places around there to eat, and somewhere to buy food to take back to the site.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite National Park Private Guided...
15 Reviews
from US$135.00*
Yosemite and Glacier Point with...
2 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Special Offer
2-Day Yosemite National Park Tour...
160 Reviews
from US$377.10*
US$419.00
Family Hike in Yosemite
3 Reviews
from US$88.89*
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hodgdon Campground

Lee Vining is a town where you can pick up supplies. There is a store at Crane Flat but it is only open till 5pm yosemitepark.com/yosemite-groceries-supplies…

It's a long drive from LV as you probably know. Any chance of adding a day? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

Mentioned in this post
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,737 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hodgdon Campground

You don't have to cook at all. Stop at Crane Flat Gas Station & Store and buy sandwiches.

The Valley Store in Yosemite Village has lots, but again, you don't have to cook. Note that the Village is just one small part of Yosemite Valley (shops, visitor center, museum, etc.) You want to get out on the shuttle, on your feet, or on rental bikes to explore the beautiful places in Yosemite Valley. Map: nps.gov/yose/…valleyshuttle.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
442 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,715 Reviews
LA
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hodgdon Campground

I agree with PNWF. You can avoid a lot of the cooking hassle by minimzing your campground cooking. Personally, I need coffee in the am, so a small backpacking stove for heating water, or water for freeze-dried backpacker meals is just fine. They are really very tasty. There is food available in various places.

Most people buy a cooler and pack it with ice if you really have to take perishables. Grocery stores available in Bishop, Mammoth along your route. Lee Vining has some groceries, but the stores in Mammoth have better selection. Sandwiches, snacks can keep you going.

The store in Yosemite Village has quite a grocery and wine section. Pricey, but far convenient. They also stock backpacker type food. Good wine & beer selection.

I certainly wouldn't bother buying a barbeque or carrying raw meat.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 14:42
Mentioned in this post
Lee Vining
Lee Vining
California
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
442 Reviews
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hodgdon Campground

Bishop would probably be the most convenient as Vons and Kmart are right off the road. I would definitely pick up an ice chest before you left Vegas for the road. Just buy whatever you want to snack on and avoid raw meat and BBQ.

How many nights are you camping and where else are you going? If only a couple of nights in Yosemite, not sure if you want to buy a stove for water and a mess kit but may be worthwhile for the hot coffee and oatmeal which is what I eat in the AM. If you did buy a set and want to cook st night, get easy boil things like canned soup or boil packs like these

tastybite.com/product_type/indian-entrees/

with quick cook minute rice.

If you did want meat, don't bother with a portable grill. There is a fire ring with a grill that moves up and down. You just need to buy foil and charcoal and be patient. We do this but it takes time to get the heat right.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Hodgdon Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:17