We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Photos

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and Photos

Trip Report- Yosemite National Park

Day 1- Flew from Atlanta to SFO. Flight arrived around noon. We picked up our rental car from Hertz. We did not have to wait because we are Gold Card members. It was very easy to get through the airport and on the blue train to the rental car center. We drove to Sonora, CA for our stay at the Best Western. We went through some beautiful fruit and nut groves. We checked out the old gold town of Sonora and then found our hotel. The hotel was older and not as updated as many of the hotels where we have stayed. We ate at the Pine Tree restaurant near the hotel and it was not very good. We went to bed around 9 pm because we had been up since about 5 am eastern time.

Day 2- We ate at the hotel for breakfast and it was OK. We stopped by Safeway for bottled water and some snacks. We then headed toward Yosemite National Park. We stopped in Groveland at PJ’s for lunch. We ate the avocado and chicken sandwich with fries and a side salad. It was very good. We drove up the Tioga Pass Road to Tuolumne Meadows and turned around and headed back. We stopped along the road at many of the pullouts. There was still a lot of snow along the road and it was very cool. The meadows did not have any wildflowers yet but the lakes were full. We stopped at Crane Flats for gas and coffee and then went down to the valley to check in at the Lodge at the Falls. On the way into the valley we spotted a bear along the road and stopped to take photos. We stayed in the Alder building and it was very convenient to the food court, restaurant, gift shop, tour bus, and shuttle bus. After we checked in and took our luggage to the room we went to the Mountain Room for dinner. The food was very good. We had the rainbow trout. We checked out the gift shop and bought souvenirs for the family.

Day 3- We ate breakfast at the Food court. It is expensive but you do have a choice of menu items. We had booked at 10 am Valley tour and we were lucky with the nice weather to have a tram tour. We really enjoyed seeing all the sights without having to drive everywhere. Near Curry Village we got to see a Bobcat. The park ranger did a great job explaining all about the history of the valley and Yosemite. The tour lasted a little over two hours and we were back in time to get lunch at the Food court. We did the short walk to Yosemite Falls after lunch. We then decided to drive up to Washburn point and Glacier point. The valley views were stunning. We were back at the Lodge in time for dinner at the Mountain Room again. We had the steak and again the food was very good. After dinner we took the shuttle bus to see the Ahwahanee Hotel.

Day 4- We ate breakfast at the Food court. We rode the shuttle bus to the Visitor center and Ansel Adams gallery then came back to the Lodge in time to check out about 10:30 am. We headed to Wawona area to see the pioneer village and the Wawona Hotel. We ate lunch at the hotel. We then drove down to the Mariposa Grove and booked the next tour. Tours were running about 1 ½ hours. We visited the gift shop and then headed out on the tram for our tour of the Mariposa Grove. It was nice again to take a tour without doing all the walking and having the guide explain all about the trees and history of the area. We headed to Oakhurst, CA for our stay at the Best Western. We checked in and got on the computer in their business center to check up on email, etc. We ate dinner in their restaurant and it was very good.

Day 5- We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and again the food was very good. We checked out of the hotel and took a scenic route up to Merced, CA. We saw many cattle ranches and fruit groves along this route. We ate a late lunch at the In and Out Burger and it was very good. We then headed to the Holiday Inn Express south at the SF airport. We ate dinner at the recommendation of the hotel at a nearby restaurant- Max’s. The food was not very good.

Day 6- We ate breakfast at the hotel and it was the standard HIE breakfast but was good. We got gas and returned our rental car and went thru security. We got a bite of lunch and waited for our flight. We arrived back in Atlanta at about 10 pm.

We saw some awesome scenery and loved our visit to Yosemite. We were so glad that we got to see the park when the waterfalls were flowing. The weather was very nice. With my mobility issues because of hip problems we were able to see the park and enjoy our visit without having to do a lot of walking or encounter a lot of steps or inclines. We however did not like the long flight to and from California!!

Photos-

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-081b-113e-dce0…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Thanks to all on the forum who helped me plan this trip. PacificNWFamily provided lots of great info for my many questions.

We had originally planned this trip for September but found great airfare and two nights availability at the Lodge at the Falls and so decided to come last week. We had always wanted to see the waterfalls. We love the national parks and now can add Yosemite to our list. We have many great memories and hundreds of photos of our trip. We were thrilled to see all the wildlife too.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,278 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Excellent report! You were lucky to see both a bear and a bobcat. I hope they're included in your Trip Wow (off-line right now.)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Thanks!! Yes I got photos of the bear and bobcat.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report and Photos

I am glad you had a wonderful time... Its early to see a bear, and bobcats are always rare.... You did well.

How did Yosemite match what you expected... what would you have wanted to know before that you now know?

Randy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report and Photos

I had done a lot of research and have been to many national parks so thought we were well prepared. Maps of the area are a bit deceiving in terms of times it takes to get to the valley. Of course all on this forum explain that on a daily basis. The weekend crowds were much greater than we anticipated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report and Photos

I just found out that the bluebird in the photo is actually a Stellar's Jay. I took so many photos that I hope I got all the names correct on the waterfalls, etc.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,278 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Comparing Steller's Jays in various parts of the west was one of the things we did on family trips w/ kids. They all look similar, yet different. And the call is loud enough that even kids can find the birds!

Saint James, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Very nice trip report, thanks for sharing! The pictures are very good.

Bears, deer, and an elusive bobcat. Well done on the wildlife front. Glad that you got to see the waterfalls.

The drive time between 'attractions' does seem a bit long. That is why I just changed one of my reservations from Fish Camp to Yosemite West.

It is a long flight for us east coast folks.

Glad to hear that you guys had a good time

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report and Photos

PeachBelle--really enjoyed the report and the photos. We will be at Yosemite in a few days ourselves--can't wait. Re the tram tour at Mariposa Grove and the tour running 1.5 hours--do you mean you had to wait that long for the next tour or that the tour took that long?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report and Photos

Only had to wait about 20 minutes for the next tour but the tours were taking about 1 1/2 hours.