We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tioga Road -Closed?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tioga Road -Closed?

I am arriving in Yosemite tonight and Driving Tioga to Mono Lake tomorrow afternoon. The website says "call" on road status and Yosemite phone number says the road is temporary closed east of Crane Flat due to icy conditions. Is it possible that this road will be open tomorrow or should I make alternate arrangements? Since the road is already open for the season, several weeks ago, Im hoping this closure doesn't last long. Is it likely it will be open within 24 hours? Any insight would be appreciated.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

A storm blew through the last 48 hrs. I don't see cold or snow in the next few days. But just call later and watch the forecast.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 19:36
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Better call... I just checked for Mammoth and Lee Vining weather and there's a thunderstorm for today. It would be ok if the overnight temps stay above freezing but lows are high 30's which can be icy. You don't want to slide down Tioga Pass in ice.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Thank you!

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

They won't let you access the road if it is at all hazardous. There are big iron gates across it if it is closed.

Keep checking.

Warming trend coming for the weekend and is possible Tioga may open later tomorrow.

They really don't want to have to break out all the snowplows again, so they may wait for the snow or ice to clear on it's own. It will certainly be opened again for Memorial Day weekend.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

From here (west of Yosemite) it is clearing, but it is a different story in the high elevation. There is a good chance it could open for your trip, but I don't know. Cal-Trans has the most updated information and seems to be quicker on information over Yosemite. Call 1-800.427.7623 before you start your drive and before you make your decision on a route. Also, Hwy 108 Sonora Pass is closed for the same reason, so at the present time this is not an alternative. You can check on this route tomorrow as a possible route.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,927 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Tioga Road is still closed. The Facebook page has a report of 8" of snow in Tuolumne Meadows.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Caltrans Web site http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi says 120, 108, 4 and 89 all closed due to snow. As noted, this could change in a few hours. The state needs any precipitation it can get.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 15:23
yorkshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Still closed this morning, we had hoped to use it yesterday, going from Yosemite to Lee vining, but had to detour and took 8 hours, but the scenery on route was absolutely amazing and although a London drive, was well worth it

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Tioga Pass is open.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,927 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tioga Road -Closed?

Yay! Thanks for the update. I hope folks who are in Yosemite are enjoying the fresh snow.