We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

My husband and I, along with my parents, will be traveling to Yosemite the end of June from San Francisco. Is it reasonable that we can see Tunnel View, Valley View, Yosemite lower Falls and the Visitor Center upon arrival? Have Valley lodging this night.

The plan the next day is Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows. Return to Valley lodging.

On our third day, Glacier Point and Half Dome, traveling on to see Wawona Hotel and Mariposa Grove. Overnight at Tenaya Lodge and then continue to Monterey.

Is this reasonable? Should we consider changing anything? We enjoy short hikes, enjoying the scenery and want to get a good idea of Yosemite's highlights.

Last, considering Ahwahnee Dining for breakfast one morning, would it make more sense, timewise the second or third day?

Thanks so much!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

Yes.

This may help on day 1: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c2636/Yosemite…

You can see half dome from the valley floor but views from Glacier Pt and Washburn Pt are spectacular. Also good from Olmsted Pt on Tioga Rd. If you have time, consider making it to Mono Lake and Whoa Nelli Deli / MoMart on Day 2.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,480 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

Hi

For the most part, I think your plans are terrific.

Save Valley View for Day 2 as it's on the exit side (one way) of Yosemite Valley. Stop there in the morning as you head out to Tioga Road & Tuolumne Meadows. Note that the only lunch option in Tuolumne Meadows is the Grill. Tioga Gas Mart / Whoa Nellie Deli / Mobile Mart is a good choice outside of Yosemite NP.

Perhaps drive up to Tunnel View again on Day 2 or visit Bridalveil Fall on your way back to your lodging.

On Day 3, stop at Tunnel View for a morning view. Then stop at Washburn Point before Glacier Point. Look far to the right for Illilouette Fall.

Lunch at the Wawona Hotel? You may end up waiting for a shuttle from Wawona to Mariposa Grove, and there are no dining options in Mariposa Grove. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d592681 I think the walk to the Lower Grove is a good option, but some folks prefer the tram. If you have the energy, you'll find less crowded trails past the Lower Grove.

Breakfast either morning will work. If Day 3 is an early departure, you could walk/hike up Sentinel Dome. 2.2 miles round trip. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061 Or walk/hike out to Taft Point.

Is any of these days (1, 2, or 3) a Saturday?

I sure hope Yosemite Falls still has water in it in June! It might be Yosemite "Wall" when you're there.

LA
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

It's not Whoa Nellie Deli anymore and Chef Toomey has moved to Mammoth, where he has a restaurant.

It's Mobil M and the food is good, but not what is was when Matt Toomey was there. Still have a good wine selection, too.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 03:02
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

Thanks so much for the help. To answer PacificNWFamily, we will be at Yosemite from Mon., 6/30 - Wed., 7/2.

Follow up questions:

Day 2: would it be wise to take a picnic lunch for Tuolumne Meadows?

Day 3: we will be driving to Glacier Pt and Mariposa, spending the night at Tenaya. When stopping at Mariposa, is there parking there or will we need to shuttle there? Sounds like lunch in Wawona Hotel would be a good choice this day, right? What are good options for dinner at Tenaya or close by?

Of the places I've mentioned and that have been recommended in responses to my post, which short hikes would you recommend?

Has anyone done the stargazing that Yosemite offers? Is it worthwhile or something that we could easily do ourselves? If so, where around Valley floor or Tenaya would you recommend?

Thanks again. Really looking forward to Yosemite so I want to make good use of our time so that we all have a great time.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,480 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

Hi

I love picnics, so that's what I'd take to Tuolumne Meadows. But if you're exiting the Park to go to Mono Lake, you can eat in Lee Vining.

Day 3 ~ don't drive to the town of Mariposa. You want to go to Mariposa Grove. I think that the small lot will be full and you'll need to take the shuttle from Wawona.

Another option is to drive to Tenaya Lodge, just outside the South Entrance. Have lunch. Then go back into the Park to Mariposa Grove. If you're planning to walk the trails, try arriving around 4:30 or 5:00. The Mariposa Grove Road may still be gated and monitored, but ask the gate attendant if you can drive up since you'll be there too long to take a shuttle back out (last shuttle is around 5:30 or 6:00.)

Short hikes ~ Twin Bridges or along the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River in Tuolumne Meadows, Pothole Dome in Tuolumne Meadows, Sentinel Dome and/or Taft Point on the Glacier Point Road, Lower Chilnualna Fall in Wawona

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

There are stargazing programs but if you have a stargazing app or just want to see stars and don't care about their names, you can do it yourself.

Best if there are no lights around. So some place in the meadow away from buildings.

7. Re: Are plans reasonable for Yosemite trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16