We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Sites and where to stay

Goleta, California
1 post
Save Topic
Yosemite Sites and where to stay

Hi!

I want to go camping for a couple days in Yosemite, but I've never been before and don't really know what kind of camping grounds or housing is available to me there and what sites I should see and how to get to them. I'm thinking about going in August with a couple of friends (5-7) and were college students. If any of you have advice on how I can start planning my trip I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,920 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Sites and where to stay

Hi Julie M

We have collected lots of tips for visitors and placed these tips in the Top Questions & Trip Ideas on the right. I recommend reading the relevant Trip Reports and the "Where Should We Camp" links. You might also read the lodging info.

Here is a basic map: yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite_national_park_o…

Here is some info about a basic 3 day visit (Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne Meadows, Glacier Point + Mariposa Grove) tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21258

Campsites are limited to 6 people. Curry Village tent cabins have a variety of configurations, but the largest ones only fit 5 people.

Read some of the suggested info. Maybe look at a guidebook, the Things To Do at the top, this hiking website www.YosemiteHikes.com Figure out what is most important to you on your trip. Then post again with more information for us and we'll help. (For example, maybe you want to take ten mile day hikes. Maybe you want to spend lots of time in the campsite, just lounging and enjoying each other's company. Maybe you want to drive to the 'best bits' of Yosemite and see the favorite touristy places.)

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Sites and where to stay

If you have flexibility in scheduling, I'd go directly to the campsite reservations page and make reservations. You are better off trying to get weeknight dates, rather than weekends.

As above, it will be much easier to plan for a group of 6 or fewer rather than 7, which will require 2 campsites. Yes, they do check.

August will be a hot, dry month so some of the higher elevation campsites are nicer and cooler than the valley floor. White Wolf, Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Flat, and Tuolumne Meadows are higher elevation campsites.

The other options are the tented camps, which will also fill up completely. As mentioned, a few have maximum capacities of 5 people, but most have maximum capacities of 3 or 4. The tented camps are expensive for what they are (~$124 per unit per night, not including food), but you are paying for the convenience.

You'd better get planning now. Don't arrive in Yosemite without a confirmed reservation for a place to stay or camp because you won't find one.

3. Re: Yosemite Sites and where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15