We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip to Bodie

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Side trip to Bodie

Part of my time in Yosemite we're staying at WW and for the day between we plan to ride at Tuolomne stables. I was considering driving over to Bodie; my 13yo has never seen a ghost town. I assuming it's a scenic ride. Google maps has 2hrs from WW to Bodie, does that sound right? Is it worth it? Any opinions?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip to Bodie

I don't know what WW is......but, yes it is very worthwhile if you have the time. And yes, it is scenic.

It is 33 miles north on Hwy 395 from the Eastern entrance/exit of the Park to the turnoff to Bodie, and then 13 miles into it, the last 3 miles of which are gravel, but perfectly safe and drivable.

Shhh....don't tell your son that it is also educational. A real slice of what it was like during the Gold Rush.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trip to Bodie

I was trying to figure out the WW and I assume you mean White Wolf in the park? Yes, Bodie is an interesting place to visit and worth the drive if you have the time. Since you will be at the Tuolumne stables it would make sense to try to combine that day with the Bodie trip as Tuolumne Meadows is on the way.

LA
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trip to Bodie

From White Wolf (WW) to Bodie is probably about 2 hours each way, as the route from WW takes you through Tuolumne Meadows. If you start from TM Stables, which are just at the Lembert Dome parking lot, it might be more like an hour each way, but I would allow an hour in Bodie, if not more. It's a pretty fascinating place.

You also go past Mono Lake, which is worth a stop in at the visitor center just north of Lee Vining.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=514

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trip to Bodie

If your timing works and a history walk with one of the park employees is offered during the time you are in Bodie, that would be a good thing to do to get the overall history of the town (I know, we aren't supposed to tell your son that he can learn something while he's there, but still. . .). We were just there around Memorial Day and did the history walk. Took less than half an hour, not too far to actually walk, and what we heard really helped us understand and appreciate the town. We also did a tour of the stamp mill--that was about an hour, which was a bit too long for us, but still interesting.

Do be aware that people lived in Bodie until the 1940"s, so while it is a ghost town, there are also some things there that might surprise you--like the remnants of a small Shell facility. We found Bodie to be one of the highlights of our trip, so I agree--if you have the time, it's well worth the stop. On our visit, I don't think they had finished grading the last half of the dirt/gravel part of the road so it was pretty rough, but hopefully that has been done by now. Just go slowly and carefully.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trip to Bodie

Sorry, yes WW is White Wolf. I saw someone else use this abbreviation and wanted to be like the cool kids in the know. ;-) Thanks for the input, I'm going to try and fit Bodie and Mono Lake into our schedule if possible

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side trip to Bodie

Yes, both are well worth it.

In Bodie, be sure to visit the cemetery, and have your son read some of the gravestone inscriptions.

Life was often quite short

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side trip to Bodie

My daughter's disappointed it's not actually haunted

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side trip to Bodie

Some may differ with her!

www.hauntedbay.com/features/Bodie.shtml

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,982 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side trip to Bodie

We didn't have time to get to Bodie, but spent an hour or so at Mono Lake. In the town of Lee Vining there is a nice bbq restaurant, Bodie Mike's, where we ordered a bbq/roast chicken and some sides to take back to our campground at Tuolumne Meadows. Much better than canned camp food, lol! Might be something to think about for dinner on the way back to the park.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side trip to Bodie

Thanks, Dez! That made my daughter very happy! And thank you Azul for the bbq recommendations.