We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes/ticks

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes/ticks

I have read some things about mosquitoes appearing in June in Yosemite, but have not seen ticks mentioned. Ticks are a big concern here when hiking in the woods. Is it necessary to wear long pants and long sleeved shirts when hiking in Yosemite? Are ticks and lyme disease an issue there also? I know there are a lot of deer there so I imagine there must also be deer ticks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,893 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

I have not encountered a tick in all my hiking in Yosemite, but I know they exist. My brother scrambles through the woods when he's headed to a stream to fish, and he's found a tick or two (or three.) I wear long pants if I'm hiking through brushy country or off trail, but shorts are fine the rest of the time.

"Tick borne diseases

There are two known diseases carried by ticks in this area: Lyme disease and relapsing fever. Not all ticks carry these diseases." nps.gov/yose/…wilderness_safety.htm

-----------

Vector-borne diseases in Yosemite

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS)

West Nile virus (WNV)

Lyme Disease.

Tick-borne relapsing fever (TBRF) (Although TBRF is rare in California, it can cause serious illness in people.)

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/health.htm

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

I guess insect repellant at all times would be a good idea then.

I can't see wearing long pants and long sleeves in June when it's hot out

LA
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

You are best off wearing long pants if you are hiking. There are lightweight long pants out there. They will also help with avoiding sunburn and mosquito bites.

I prefer long sleeved shirts with sleeves that roll up.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,893 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

I would just wear hiking pants & a hiking shirt ~ not jeans and a fleece top layer. It's cool enough in the morning that I often start with long sleeves rolled down on the hiking shirt or I just wear it over a lightweight short sleeved shirt.

pants rei.com/media/qq/6f0e015e-5f1b-4bce-bbf8-939…

shirt hikinglady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Co…

I carry repellent but don't put it on unless I know I'm going to need it. I've only needed DEET a few times in the backcountry. Usually Picaridin is sufficient. npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PicaridinGen.html

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

In hiking anywhere near grass, it's best to wear white socks, which you pull up OVER your long pants, and then spray the bottom of the pants and socks/shoes with Deet. That's what was required in school field trips to California coastal grassy areas. You know how kids veer off the path! After hiking you then examine your socks for tiny black ticks and make sure your body doesn't have them either. I personally know two young men who suffer from devastating effects of Lyme Disease not caught in time.

The other item you might want to look into is poison oak. How to identify it, and what to do if you do get a rash from it. It looks a lot like an oak leaf, or even sometimes blackberry leaves. It does take a while to learn to ID it, as it changes color from glossy green to mottled green/brown/yellow. Leaves of three -- let it be.

There are lots of forum posts on this subject.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 18:40
6. Re: mosquitoes/ticks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:17