We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illilouette River/Falls off the Panorama Trail in the Park.

California
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Illilouette River/Falls off the Panorama Trail in the Park.

Hey everybody.

In mid-July, I am thinking about a quick trip to Yosemite NP/Glacier Point. My plan is to hike the Illilouette River to the I. Falls for a day hike. So, does anybody know how the "river" flow is; water vs no water? I have hiked past this area before, and always thought it would be a neat place to spend the day.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illilouette River/Falls off the Panorama Trail in the Park.

There is very little snow in the high country this year... Illoutte dries up most summers so by Mid July I wouldn't expect any water... The creek/river is a minor part of the area, so it may still be worth a day... Its high enough not to be too hot.

20 years ago I was backpacking along Illouette with a couple of friends when three bears tried to convince us to drop our backpacks... we didn't, and made a lot of noise and they gave up... We camped along the river and the next morning I found fresh mt lion tracks around our camp site...

Randy

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illilouette River/Falls off the Panorama Trail in the Park.

I haven't heard of anyone hiking the river down to the fall from the bridge on the Panorama Trail. No idea how doable it is, just never heard of anyone doing it. For the trip from Happy Isles to the bottom of Illiouette Falls going up Illilouette Gorge I recall a year or two back someone posted some pretty detailed info on the route on yosemitenews.info. I think it was something not doable until mid August or so in normal snow years if I recall correctly.

Edited: 14 June 2014, 22:15
3. Re: Illilouette River/Falls off the Panorama Trail in the Park.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 06:16