We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

So is there such a thing as a reasonably priced hotel within the National Park?

My wife and I are looking to spend 2-3 nights in the park in September 2015.

We would really like to stay inside the park rather than outside and 'commute' in but appreciate the limited amount of lodging within the park will have a higher price for this privilege.

What lodging would be considered the best value for money? Neither of us are interested in camping but don't need 5* accommodation either.

Thanks in advance

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

If you can get in, I suggest the Lodge at the Falls as it is conveniently located in the Yosemite Valley. The Wawona is another good choice (not is the Valley, but still good access to Mariposa Grove and you can drive up to Glacier Point).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Don't know your definition of "reasonably priced"?

I agree that the Lodge at the Falls is the best alternative for location/price/ etc.

It is comparable to a 3*** motel but prices will be somewhere around $200+ per night.

You are paying for the location. We thought that staying there was well worth it!

Edited: 16 June 2014, 14:02
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,358 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Hi

All the lodging options that are inside Yosemite NP are listed in the Top Questions on the right. Since Yosemite is one of the popular parks in the Nation and is popular with foreign tourists as well, the adjective "reasonable" takes on a new meaning. :)

Check through all the options. On the exact day, one year in advance, book the type of room that you want. Maybe it's a hard sided cabin w/ a bath at Curry Village. Maybe it's one of the rooms at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls (motel-like but in an excellent location.) Note that Yosemite Falls is Yosemite Wall (dry) in September.

I'm not sure which option is the best value for the money. If you are interested in preparing your own meals, a private rental inside the Park gates is a good value.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Thanks for the replies so far.

$200 per night will probably be about 'right' for us.

Am I right in saying that you can't book more than 12 months in advance?

Also will 3 nights be enough to see and photograph some of the sites in the park?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,358 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

The official lodging reservations open one year in advance. Private property rentals in the Park open when the owner or property manager chooses, and this is often more than a year in advance.

Here is an idea of a basic 3 day visit: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21258

I know that photographers can spend 4 hours in one location working on the 'best' photo, so I don't know how much time you'll want.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Thanks for the link .... Even though I already have it and it is definitely what I'm looking for.

I'm not that bad about needing 4 hrs a photo ... But I do like to wait for the 'best light

I quite like the idea of renting a lodge but i think staying in a hotel with lots of people to chat too maybe our preferred option.

Do you know if the hotels would have a rough price guide for 2015 and before they open their doors for reservations ?

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

Another lodging option would be one of the tented camps at either Tuolumne Lodge or White Wolf. They are concrete-floored, canvas-walled tents with camp beds and linens, central shower facility and a communal dining area. You get lots of opportunity to interact with fellow travelers at meals and around the evening bonfire. Most of the guests are hiking and photographing, too, so they are active and can give you ideas about photography. Both Tuolumne Meadows and White Wolf are open until mid-September. The September reservations are much easier to get than the mid-summer ones.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

My wife would rather stick needles in her eye than go camping. 😂

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

The accommodations at the Lodge at the Falls are all in separate buildings, and there are several of them. There is a main building where you will find the reception and tour desks, a Food Court adjacent to that, a bar in another building and a restaurant in yet another building. So not like a hotel where all the rooms are in one building, with perhaps a common area to spend time and chat. You will be able to do that in the bar, perhaps, if you stop in there. We stayed there and found our room to be fine---we had a view of the Falls--but not too much interaction with other guests, but that wasn't something that was important to us on this trip.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A reasonably priced hotel in Yosemite?

We stayed at the Lodge at the Falls too. We talk to folks everywhere so had conversations at the cafeteria area and at the Sports Bar/restaurant.

We find that folks are very friendly . You might have to start the conversation but most folks are willing to chat.