We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Hi everyone,

I'll be staying in Tuolumne Meadows Lodge for seven nights in August. The check-in time, according to my reservation email, is 5pm. I'd really like to get a quiet tent cabin as I'm a very light sleeper and I'm currently ill :(

Does anyone know what is the earliest time we could try to check in, in the hope of getting a quiet cabin?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
214 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
1. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 06:57
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

I do not know the specific lodge but here in the USA check in time means when they guarantee your room/tent lodging will be available . It does not mean you cannot come earlier to see if they have anything available. Since you are coming now in the high summer season I'd expect that they'd be quite booked up and that your lodging won't be ready all that early. You could always get in touch with them as time gets closer to see what they say.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Copper JillRabbit - yes, unfortunately I have a chronic illness that has "flared up" in the past couple of months. I booked Yosemite a year ago and we've been talking about doing this trip for 7 years! Bad timing, but I'll just have to make the best of it!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Tent cabins by definition are not soundproof. But you could ask for a more isolated unit if it is available https:/…7371801798_b1f7345d9f_z.jpg

You can check after 2 pm to see if your unit has been cleaned. It all depends on how many people have checked out that morning and how long it takes for them to clean your unit.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,895 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Go to the registration as early as you can manage. 12 pm, 2 pm. They would know which units are due to check out and are available for that evening. You can work with them to get the cabin that you desire most. They (typically) may not have the cabin ready for you yet but you can secure which one you want to have. The go back again after 5pm for your keys. (Wait... IIRC Duolumne Meadows Lodge doesn't even use cabin lock/key)

So Cal
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

They don't have keys, but they do have a limited number of combination locks to lend. Some tents are definitely quieter than others. It couldn't hurt to email ahead and ask.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 19:44
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

It is difficult to find an email address for them--- at least I have been unsuccessful. And for now the phones are not working, thanks to a rockfall in Indian Canyon that wiped out the phone lines.

So I would suggest just showing up early and asking for the quiet tent you want. You probably will have to wait, but not til five o'clock. There is lots of beautiful scenery to see if you have to wait.

And I do not recall it being all that noisy at night. People go to bed and sleep, no late partying.

LA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

I can't find my TM Lodge map to tell you which units to recommend but from memory. You can blow that map up and try to decipher the numbers. They're a bit difficult to see.

The units closest to the parking lots are noisy, as people coming in late at night are walking back and forth from their cars to their units, with their wheelbarrow filled with stuff. Seemed to go on til near midnight a couple of nights. I would not want any of the 10's units (#11 etc) as they are also just across from the shower /toilet facilities and will have lots of traffic during the day.

I recall the units in the 30's, up along the highest road are the quietest. They do involve a little more of an uphill so if you have mobility limitations, they might not be great.

The units closest to the river, in the 50's are all double beds and get taken quickly. They can have a lot of river noise, if the stream flow is high. It can be kind of a "white noise". They are nice but can also be a little bit of a hike. I've never stayed in #1, #2, #3 next to the river, but I think they would actually be noisy as they get all the traffic from the people working there.

Just avoid the 10's and the units around the shower facility.

You can arrive and check in most any time after about noon.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 16:16
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

Thanks so much. I really appreciate all the great advice :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,023 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Check in time at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge

I love maps. I found this one of Tuolumne Meadows Lodge.

https:/…7371801798_b1f7345d9f_z.jpg

And here are some photos from someone who visited in 2012. The photos include scans of the menus at the Lodge Dining Hall https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge
214 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA