We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

We are looking at going Yosemite np next year in May. I've just had a quick look at accom at the falls lodge and to my shock and surprise it's all booked out for May and June 2015 already. Is this normal or is there some sort of special event on during this month? It seems like a long time away and I didn't want to book so early in case things change now it's too late it seems?

What else would be close enough by that's reasonable priced. We won't be camping however and share facilities are not keen on.

Lasting Adventures
Day Trips, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Yosemite Family Adventures
Private Tours, Night Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Wildland Trekking Company - Yosemite Day Hikes
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Echo Adventure Cooperative, Inc
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,983 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

That's normal.

Check the Top Questions to the right about where to stay.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

Absolutely normal - official in-park lodging takes reservations 365 days in advance, and they do often book out this fast. Especially the Lodge.

However, do not despair! :-) Book something else that you could still be happy with but that is cancelable, and then keep checking the website (you're using the official website, yes? www.yosemitepark.com ). People often cancel Yosemite rooms, so with 10 months to go, you have a fair chance of finding a room if you're diligent about checking.

***If you're booking the Lodge at the Falls on the official website, the cancellation policy is very generous, so don't worry about the "what if something changes" scenario. The policy on other websites or other properties may not be the same, so read carefully before you reserve.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

Yep, that is normal.

Do check the top Top Question "Where do we stay—Inside the park or outside the park?" and keep checking and checking and checking the accommodation website.

That said, when you are coming from Aus you need to make plans more in advance. Have a look at Yosemite View Lodge and Cedar Lodge in El Portal. El Portal is outside the park's Arch Rock entrance and about a 30-40 minute drive from the main valley (I am assuming that you will have a car).

While I would recommend staying in the valley itself for a first visit, El Portal is feasible and I've stayed there three times (due to the whole issue of accommodation-in-the-valley-is-fully-booked-but-I-need-to-book-something-now).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,491 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

We came to the park in May. It was a spur of the moment trip. Found lodging thru cancellations the third week of April and snapped up 2 nights at the Lodge at the Falls. I then booked a night at the south entrance in Oakhurst. I then was lucky enough to find great car rental and flights into SFO. We had a great trip and the weather was nice and the waterfalls were awesome. Also saw wildlife which was a plus.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

Keep looking. Today I found rooms avaiLable Yosemite Lodge at the Falls in mid-May and was able to book two nights. I had to book them separately as they were two different room types, so we will have to move. That's OK. Try searching one night at a time usinfpg the availability calendar.nit changes constantly, so keep trying. There was lots of availability for next week, but we never can leave it to that late.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

Should I take the risk that nothing will become available in the valley and book something in el portal instead where I can still get accommodation?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

I would.

Check the cancellation policy, but they are often quite generous, and keep checking the accommodation website for the park.

El Portal is still reasonable if you can't get accommodation in the valley itself.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

As long as you can cancel that El Portal reservation without losing money, then there's no risk at all.

9. Re: Yosemite Valley booked out 12 month in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16